1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Not watching HD channels

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by magnus, Dec 22, 2010.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    amazing, the more houses I go into, with their big bright HDTVs, and their channels are set on the same numbers they were five years ago.

I mean I can see having to set my mother in law's set and show her where the HD channels are. I'll bet good money they're completely unable to remember what I'm talking about. But if you're in your 30s-40s, and you watch the same 50 channels at the bottom of the dial you always have with your big new TV, what the fuck is your problem?

2. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

My wife is the same way. We have this nice HD set and she still watches the standard definition channels. The cable company makes it so easy to find the HD version, if there is one, for whatever SD channel one is watching. There's a big notice that says, "Press Enter to switch to HD" Yet, nothing. I just shake my head.

3. cmmguy

cmmguy *

Cable sure is a pain in the ass.... Almost all of my OTA channels are HD.

4. DJ_Tet

DJ_Tet Full Access Member

DirecTv takes the 'guesswork' out of it, although like you said it's pretty much common sense. But DirecTv takes the SD channel out of the guide by default if there is an HD variant. The only channel this doesn't apply to that I've seen is Fox SportsSouth which has an ALT channel set up for HD broadcasts.

Even worse are the guys that use the RCA (red/yellow/white) cables to hook up their cable box or PS3 to their new HDTV. The PS3 and 360 (now) both don't come with HDMI cables, and I can understand not wanting to pay $40 for one in the store. But they are about $4 online shipped, so everyone with an HDTV should buy a couple just for future use.

5. jge1968

jge1968 Full Access Member

Women.

6. WilliamJ

WilliamJ SUPERMOD

wimmin and technology.

7. plutosgirl

plutosgirl It's a Liopleurodon!!!

Settle down... :grlaugh:

Here is why I do it. I don't have time to look it up because I don't know exactly what channel are the HD channels and what is the regular ones.
    I had 3 channels growing up and my brother had to go on the roof to change the antenna until we got the remote thingy that turned it.
    It was fuzzy and had lines in it a lot of times, but we didn't notice.

The regular channels are plain enough if you watch the type stuff I'm watching (usually not sports) so why bother with going through 1000 channels and down into the pron section so my daughter can see 'Super hot Latinos Sucking' on the menu.

Not worth it.

One more thing- when we first got this tv, the clear, bright picture with Blue Ray etc.. actually hurt my eyes it was so brilliant. Not too bright- just too... something. So There. Merry Christmas. :mushy:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  8. WilliamJ

WilliamJ SUPERMOD

you must drive fro crazy.

9. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

They just dont fucking notice, like I dont notice the piss all around the toilet and the pile of laundry and dirty dishes.

10. Little Guy

Little Guy Full Access Member

I watch those channels if it is something I want to watch but like right now I am watching Star Trek TNG. But BBCA does not have HD yet.
    But I do watch many channels that are HD, and if they are shown in both I will always watch the HD one. And YES You can tell the difference.
    I will play more BluRay DVDs then standard ones. Just because there is a huge difference in them.