1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

NO SNIPING ZONE

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality Forum' started by hasbeen99, Mar 15, 2004.

1. ezy ryder

ezy ryder =o&o>

no, he's just a thread killer.

2. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

Ah. I've been there.

3. Southern_Yankee

Southern_Yankee Full Access Member

What LarryD is trying to say is, he doesnt want the inmates running this asylum like R & R.

4. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

If I've come across as intimidating to you or anyone else, I sincerely apologize. Believe me -- that's the last thing I want to do. :( And if I do get too big for my britches, SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME!

I don't mind -- in fact I welcome -- opposing views, and I love a good civil debate. There have already been a couple in this forum, and I feel richer for the experience.

That being said, interpreting any holy text is a tricky and sensitive ordeal. One of the most important lessons I learned in the preaching class I took is that context is everything. Without understanding the context of a passage of text (be it in the Torah, Talmud, Bible, or Qur'an), the original message is lost. Interpreting text outside of context is how organizations like the KKK and other hate groups justify themselves.

I'm not saying that my interpretation is always the right one -- not by a long shot. I take careful means to figure out the most likely interpretation, but I'm not a professional preacher, and even they're only human. I will always welcome a different perspective. I've learned much from standing in the shoes of others.

5. slydevl

slydevl Asshole for the People!

You're pretty big, but I think your pants still fit.....at least for a while longer

6. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

OUCH!!!! Sly hit me.

7. BigVito

BigVito Splitting Headache

Deleting Posts

HB, is there a way that we can prevent messages from being deleted in threads that are moved to this forum from R&R, NOD, etc?

The "rules" are different in those forums and those posts are "acceptable" in the context of those forums. It is the moving of the thread itself that changes the rules.

Not sure what the solution is because I truly enjoy this forum and how the discussions are going. I just don't want to see things deleted when they were posted in a different enviroment before being moved.

Not a big gripe, by any means, just a concern if more threads end up being moved.

8. hasbeen99

I've gone back and forth on this, BV, and to be honest, I'm still not sure what the right thing to do is. As kind of an unwritten rule, I was going to leave old threads from R&R that were moved here unchanged. But I also felt a need to honor Sly's request yesterday.

I don't feel like I took anything away from the value of Miss tery's "Religion" thread by deleting/editing out the sniping. There was a lot of great discussion in that thread, and that hasn't changed.

At the same time, you're absolutely right about the rules being different in other forums, which is why I hesitate to edit older moved threads. Imma talk to Larry about this and see what he says.

Just out of curiosity, BV, why do you want to keep the flaming intact in those threads?

9. BigVito

BigVito Splitting Headache

Tough call, HB. I'd thought of the possibility of locking those threads when they are moved here with a moderators note directing the posters to a new R&S thread with a modified title Religion R & S, for example. This may be too unwieldy, but I do believe that moved threads should remain intact.

I don't think this will be much of an issue now that the Forum is established.

10. hasbeen99

I've just made a decision, and I agree with you, BV. Moved threads aren't going to be edited prior to their move. I just moved the "Religion" thread back to R&R.