1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Niners/Tar Heels NCAA Championship

Discussion in 'SportsTalk' started by VA49er, Dec 12, 2011.

1. BushMaster

BushMaster space cowboy (R)

baseball bat, football helmet, soccer blouse. :smilielol5:

2. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

Cool pic, well, except for that the coach now wears Cardinal red.

[​IMG]

3. Pi.

Pi. New and improved Pi.

A couple busloads of students doesn't change the fact that soccer is gay and, in general, nobody cares. I didn't even know the game was played and will never remember it was. If I asked everyone in my neighborhood who played in the soccer championship game, nobody would know.

4. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

I bet at least one person would know.

5. VA49er

You realize you are in the minority, correct? I mean, soccer is the planet's most popular sport. I know you don't like it and that's cool. I was the same a couple of years ago as well.

6. Pi.

Pi. New and improved Pi.

This is the lamest argument ever. It's popular in every third world country because you can pick a fuckin coconut of a tree and kick it around in the sand barefoot for entertainment. It is popular in western euro because it is old and boring and they hold onto everything old and boring. And what are the options? Tennis and golf? Darts?

Unfortunately for your "worldwide popularity" stance, we live in the USA where it is a boring sport and there are too many exciting alternatives. There is a reason why kids, once old enough to choose, choose other sports in this country.

By the age of about 7, soccer in the USA becomes the sport for the kids who are not good enough to play other sports because you can't swing and miss or drop anything and over-protective parents can be sure their kid won't get hurt. It is why our high school, college and world cup teams are filled with guys that average about 5'7 140 lbs.

If our best athletes chose soccer through high school and college, the USA would dominate the world. Imagine every college running back, shortstop and point guard in D1 college sports all playing soccer their entire life and drawing from them for team USA. They would average 6'2 200 and be unbeatable. They don't and that is proof that it is a boring sport and nobody cares.

7. VA49er

I agree with all that but that still doesn't change the fact soccer is the most popular sport on the planet. Doesn't make it any less of a sport when hardly any equipment is needed to play. Money is the reason kids choose other sports over soccer. Maybe one day that will change,maybe not. If a really good soccer player looks around and sees a soccer player can make the same as a quarterback the odds of staying in soccer greatly increase. Anyway, this was originally about supporting the Alma mater and being proud of the team's great season.

8. Pi.

Pi. New and improved Pi.

Kids don't play soccer in this country because it's boring. My 6 year old son tried it and is now only interested in football, baseball and lacrosse because they are more exciting/fun. He doesn't know anything about pro salaries. His friends all feel the same, they tried it and were bored with it.

9. Pi.

Pi. New and improved Pi.

What it does is make it more popular. The fact that it is the cheapest sport to play makes it the only option in most of the world, hence the most popular.

If it were free to play organized ice hockey, football, lacrosse and baseball in Uganda they would find soccer boring there also.

10. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Son of Anarchy

There's a reason there are only "soccer Moms" and not "soccer Dads". :goofy: