1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Neat little trick...

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by magnus, Feb 13, 2002.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    ...for those of you that keep a lot of windows open (I have 16 open at the moment).

I have a trick for the Quick Launch toolbar (keeps IE, Outlook express, the show desktop icon and so on). I created an arbitrary folder (for instance I put mine in C:/unzipped , the winzip destination folder. Doesn't matter, you can put it under C: also) I call it tools for simplicity's sake.

You then put your most used shortcuts that aren't on your toolbar already into this folder. You link to that folder from your desktop, and then you can drag the shortcut from the desktop to the toolbar.

And instead of using the start button or getting out to the desktop, now you have every shortcut you want or need in a popup box.

The icon I used for the setups I made for my family were for C:/windows/system32/jdbgmgr.exe...you can use pretty much any icon file. They have them available all over the internet or you can just right click on the shortcut, properties--> shortcut-->change icon and browse until you find something that looks decent.

Make sense to anyone? I'm the only person I know that does this but I'm sure someone has to have come up with something similar.

2. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

I created a folder on my desktop with shortcuts in it, then I keep it open all the time. For someone who remembers Windows 3.11, it's easier to alt-tab to the open folder than having to browse through the Start menu all the time.

3. SandMan

SandMan Guest

I still alt tab... habit I guess...

4. BearBryant

BearBryant Full Access Member

you guys must be farting dust!

5. SandMan

SandMan Guest

sometimes I look for executeable files by going to the dos prompt and hitting dir/p so the list of files will pause for viewing ...

6. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

A colleague of mine calls WFW 'Windows for Old People'. I'm only 31 but I cut my teeth on the stuff early in my career. Oh well.

7. SandMan

SandMan Guest

I hear ya... I can recall back in 1989 or 1990 when I got my first PC... It was an 8086 with a monochrome monitor. Word processing was a science in itself. Copmuserve was the most available online service and you had to pay for stuff that you don't think twice about today...

Funny thing is, I never recall my PC crashing when working in DOS....:D

Edit: PC, Printer, and stuff was around $2,000!!!

8. VOR

VOR Guest

Yeah it's amazing no matter what the technology it always costs about 2000 dollars. We had an ibm pc with a 10meg hard drive hercules graphics and green monitor and 9pin star printer and it cost 2000.

I used to crash dos a lot but I used to routinely overrun the ability of the computer. wasn't till the 386 that you could design a good cim system with a halfway decent sampling rate.

9. SandMan

SandMan Guest

Well I will not pretend to discuss sampling rates... but I will say I miss my 1400 baud modem.... ;)

Edit, the first PC I built was a 386, then a 486, then one or two other for other people...

10. SandMan

SandMan Guest

How long was Ford in the car business before the government and consumer agencies ever talked about Planned Obsolescence ?

Just wondering when somebody is going to attack the PC industry for this very same "crime against the consumer"?