1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

NCAA QB’s to watch

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by rake, Jul 25, 2021.

1. presidence99

presidence99 es lo que hay.

If you look closely you'll notice all my draft work is lazy comparisons.

Black&Black and rake like this.
  2. rake

rake Need one of these

That’s good stuff Cyber. .. There is clearly no franchise QB in this draft. I would argue that none are clearly even worth a 1st round pick.
    I was too homer on Ridder. If he had only done better than leading his team to a couple of FG’s verses Bama . .. but he didn’t, and the NFL is full of Bama defenses. No college QB had more of an opportunity to earn a top half in the 1st than Ridder did. .. Oh well

Agree with Cyber about Strong but I would compare him as a “not quite as good” version of Ryan Mallet and that = NO upgrade to Sam unfortunately.

Not a single QB in this class looks like “immediate” help to ANYONE actually. Just a whole bunch of reachy projects.

Seems the trend is definitely towards duel threat guys. Dozens of college programs are investing in that but a pocket passer is our best bet IMO. Big strong armed pocket passers are not going to disappear altogether and unless you get a durable Russell Wilson your Murray wannabe project will be on IR much of the time.

I would rather have a big durable pocket passer type but the only true projects there have glaring flaws:

Stanford’s McKee - Lacks poise and decision making

BC’s Jurkovec - Sloppy technique and footwork. Not accurate

TxTech’s Shough - Poise, leadership ?? Streaky

Most flaws can be improved over a few years by an effective and patient staff, but does Carolina have that?

I do not see our guy in this class so for me it’s “wait til’ next year” I guess

3. morningwood

morningwood Pay for Performance

None of this matters until they fix the line. Looking for savior QB’s, and it’s surely a need, is pointless without a line.

The game is won at the line of scrimmage.

DogBoy likes this.
  4. presidence99

purely my own conjecture here but now that its so hard to construct OL due to reduced practice time/free agency/general college offense trends its not that pocket passers are gone but the 2nd/3rd tier guys that needed a good supporting cast are replaced by the scrambler types. there will be another brees/peyton/brady the nfl now makes it harder to win with a Flacco/eli/rivers so those guys are kind of falling off. And like you said they certainly aren't being played in college with how offenses work at that level.

5. barry49s

barry49s Ain’t good for nothing

17DAF7F4-208B-4239-9B61-52611873A5FB.jpeg

6. dig-it

dig-it Wait'n On That Post Rookie Deal

Corral got a high ankle injury his last game.
    Will that effect his draft status?
    Plus the fact QBs from the SoCal area don't really have a great NFL track record.

7. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

Based on what I have read his status won’t be affected by the injury.

8. presidence99

High ankle sprain means he misses out on some training but he'll be 100% well before combine.

9. rake

rake Need one of these

nail hit on head ^
    I feel certain that carolina would have had a few more wins this year with a Joe/Eli/Phillip HOWEVER, maybe those guys do represent a fast dying (dead already?) breed. The evolution of pass rushing along with more complex coverage schemes has made it much harder on protection schemes. Maybe coach’s and OC’s in college and the NFL have just gotten lazy. .. just find a super talented Houdini QB and we can just fly our plane while we build it. Shit, a single super star employee in the workplace always makes the job easier for everybody else