1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

NCAA QB’s to watch

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by rake, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Black&Black

Black&Black Try My Product

There's always one. Carson Strong might be another. Zach Wilson is an interesting beta test, since the Jets suddenly have a pretty solid core of skill players and offensive linemen. He won't have the excuses Darnold had if he flops.

2. rake

rake Need one of these

Gabriel looks like a good prospect. Heard a little about him but had not seen him throw. Damn he looks accurate, whether he's in the pocket or on the move. Looking forward to watching him some this season.

3. Black&Black

I watched the AAC Championship last night and this morning. Ridder's arm is not good. Cincinnati's receivers had to work hard to catch passes. As a runner he's more of a strider than a great athlete. He also holds the ball too long for the next level - he's not going to be able to glide around the pocket as frequently in the NFL.

Here's what I like:

- Keeps his eyes downfield. He's not a run-first quarterback by any means. When he moves, he's looking to pass.

- Cincinnati runs something in the area code of an NFL offense. They'll occasionally go under center and run play action. This means he's more advanced at reading defenses than most college quarterbacks.

- Clutch game winning drive against Tulsa. He seems to have a "get it done" element to his game. I think that matters. Philip Rivers had a shitty arm, but his grit kept him around for a long time.

I get why people like him, despite the deficiencies. It will be interesting to see where he's drafted.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    rake likes this.
  4. rake

rake Need one of these

Nice. Yeah he’s worth “watching” and it will be interesting if he becomes one of the sports media climbers by years end. .. it will be fun to see who gets way overhyped

5. Black&Black

The clear MVP of Cincinnati football is Ahmad Gardner. He'll get a big bump as everyone starts sniffing around on Ridder.

6. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

7. Black&Black

I'm watching last year's UCF/Cincinnati game, in between coffee and my HSPU sets. It's my first extended look at Gabriel and UCF.

8. stirs

stirs Full Access Member

I think Darnold will have a great 1st half of the season and get extended before the football season is over.

Where our weakness is would be QB backup. PJ and Grier are not all that impressive. I can see us picking on of the better QB's available that drop to the 3rd round, to marinate a bit on our roster and replace one of our current guys.

9. rake

rake Need one of these

Completely agree. I don’t think there will be any QB that will be worth taking where we pick in the first. Grier has more than proved his worthlessness and PJ has preseason (if there is one) to impress or they should both be replaced imo.

10. rake

rake Need one of these

So what do you think of Gabriel?
    Roman Gabriel, Joe Kapp, Sonny Jurgensen. ... ???
    Fran Tarkenton, which one?