1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

my draft

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Forum' started by chipshotx, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Collin

Collin soap and water

Taking QBs too early is the most common mistake in fantasy drafts. Manning is worth a first in 6 points per TD leagues and a late first or early second in 4 pointers, then Palmer in the second, and Brady in the late second or third. After that, you might as well wait until the 7th round and take the best guy left on the board. There have been some drafts when I've actually waited until the 10th to take my starting QB, especially in leagues that only count 4 points per passing TD.

I hate the fact that RBs are so valuable in fantasy football (fantasy baseball is a much more balanced and interesting format and is much less luck-influenced than FF), but they are.

2. chipshotx

chipshotx Full Access Member

Lesson learned, I know that and just got antsy. I will keep my composure for my other draft.

3. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

i don't understand...there's not one set way to score all fantasy football leagues. if it's unbalanced, then adjust the scoring.

4. Collin

Collin soap and water

That's easier said than done. Remember, it's not the total points that matters but rather the distribution. The best QBs will score more raw points than the best RBs in most set-ups, but they're still not nearly as valuable as the top RBs because what matters is how those players compared to the worst player starting for a team.

For instance, take a 12 team league with 1 RB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, K, DEF. I have Peyton Manning projected for 267 points and LaDainian Tomlinson for 220. But I have the 12th best QB (Delhomme) down for 183, compared with the 24th best RB's 107. So that's an advantage of 84 points over the bottom for Manning and 113 points for LT. Requiring two QBs per team is too drastic a change, as it makes quarterbacks far more valuable than any other position.

It is possible to fool around with the scoring system itself, and 6 points per passing TD definitely creates more stratification and thus more incentive to draft a QB early than 4 points per passing TD. You might be able to put the top QBs on par with the top RBs if you increased to 8 points per passing TD or something, but most people wouldn't go along with that kind of change. 4 points per passing TD only came about because people who didn't understand the mathematics thought that QBs actually needed to have lower total points values to put those in line with RBs, not realizing that the total points values are irrelevant. It doesn't matter if the scoring system allows QBs to end up with 8,000,000 points compared to 200 for RBs if the gap between the best and worst starting QBs is still less than the best and worst starting RBs.

And on a completely separate note, I've been pushing people to go with auctions in fantasy football now. Having the first pick and thus the ability to draft LaDainian Tomlinson is too enormous of an advantage. Even back in our first league together, Larry, Edgerrin James and Marshall Faulk were far and away better than any other player. Going with an auction not only allows every team to have a shot at getting LT if they want to, but it makes him more expensive. Instead of costing the maximum amount of a first round pick, in an auction he can cost half or more of your salary cap. That makes the playing field more level for those who don't end up with him, as opposed to the poor saps in a draft who have to hope that the LT owner screws up the rest of his picks.

5. slydevl

slydevl Asshole for the People!

I COMPLETELY agree. Unfortunately my league is filled with complete fucking morons that are too lazy to prepare for an auction draft.

In a 10 person league the difference between picks 1,20,21 and 10,11,30 is insane. You might as well just have the lottery and call the season right there.

6. chipshotx

I decided to go drinking instead of draft. I may have done better with autodraft.

Jon Kitna
    Lee Evans
    Andre Johnson
    Joey Galloway
    Larry Johnson
    Maurice Jones-Drew
    Jason Witten
    Kevin Curtis
    Brandon Jacobs
    Reuben Droughns
    Michael Turner
    Brandon Marshall
    Chris Henry
    Bobby Wade
    Trent Green
    Marcus Pollard

Robbie Gould

Dallas
    San Francisco

7. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

i need to dig around and show you my league's rules.

VERy different.

8. Collin

Collin soap and water

I remember you telling me about them, but it takes an unusual set of owners to agree on something that unique.

9. chipshotx

For that autodraft league I have been offered T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Drew Carter for Maurice Jones Drew.

??

setup

Roster Positions: QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/T, W/R, K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN
    Stat Categories: Completions (.25)
    Passing Yards (30 yards per point)
    Passing Touchdowns (6)
    Interceptions (-1)
    Rushing Yards (10 yards per point)
    Rushing Touchdowns (6)
    Receptions (.75)
    Reception Yards (20 yards per point)
    Reception Touchdowns (6)
    Return Yards (10 yards per point)
    Return Touchdowns (6)
    2-Point Conversions (2)
    Fumbles (-1)
    Fumbles Lost (-2)
    Offensive Fumble Return TD (6)
    Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)
    Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)
    Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
    Field Goals 40-49 Yards (3)
    Field Goals 50+ Yards (3)
    Point After Attempt Made (1)
    Sack (1)
    Interception (2)
    Fumble Recovery (3)
    Touchdown (6)
    Safety (2)
    Block Kick (3)
    Return Yards (10 yards per point)
    Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns (6)
    Points Allowed 0 points (15)
    Points Allowed 1-6 points (12)
    Points Allowed 7-13 points (10)
    Points Allowed 14-20 points (5)
    Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)
    Points Allowed 28-34 points (-5)
    Points Allowed 35+ points (-15)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  10. Collin

Collin soap and water

In most leagues I'm in favor of trading Drew because his perceived value is greater than his actual value, but yours places a premium on return yards, making Drew potentially one of the top 5 players in the league. That set-up is retarded, but you can exploit it by picking up any return men who are still available. You can check to see who those are by looking at the official team sites. If you can find guys like Drew who play some in the regular offense and return kicks (especially kicks & punts), then you're golden.

Mini-rant:
    I hate weird set-ups because inevitably the people who actually pay attention to the scoring system and who can do just a little bit of math can totally fuck everyone else over. I had a league a couple of years ago where we decided to go with 2 QBs and I told them all that it was a stupid idea. They ignored me, so I exploited the mathematical complexity that only I understood and absolutely destroyed all of them.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007