1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Movers

Discussion in 'Home Improvement & DIY Forum' started by kickazzz2000, May 3, 2007.

1. kickazzz2000

kickazzz2000 CURRENTLY ON THE CAN

Any recommendations for long distance movers, especially in terms of not getting scammed?

I've heard absolute horror stories about certain brokers. I'm assuming avoid all brokers.

North American? United? Graebel? Anyone, anyone.

FWIW, I'll be payin for the shit myself. Movin from Greenville, NC to St. Louis

2. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

Used North American to move from NC up to VA several years ago. No problems but work arranged everything so no idea how much it actually cost.

3. Bondgirl

Bondgirl Needy Bitch

Try Uhaul and do it yourself.

4. VA49er

Next time I move I'm getting movers. That do it yourself crap is getting old.

5. Bondgirl

Bondgirl Needy Bitch

i'm just going to sell my stuff and buy new, i hate moving

6. VA49er

I hear ya. I moved every year of college and three times since. The older you get the move crap you collect. It's worth it to pay to have someone pack, load, unload, place, etc. I always seem to pick the hottest day of the year to move. Never fails.

7. Bondgirl

Bondgirl Needy Bitch

i seem to move about every 2-3 years. i dont understand how one person can have so much crap. i think it is all shoes and purses though.

8. outofstate

outofstate Full Access Member

Check into smaller local movers or someone like "Two Men and a Truck". You do the packing and they'll load it and unload it. Thats the kind of service I used moving to NC and I was very pleased. Just make sure they are insured in all states they will be driving through.

PM ArticulateKitten and ask her about her nightmare moving to the west coast - I am sure she'll have some helpful hints. The biggest issue I had when pricing the larger companies was the fact that unless you have a full truck load (and most people can't fill a semi) your stuff will be loaded and unloaded possibly several times.......stuff gets damaged and can take a couple of weeks to reach the destination. The quotes I got said it would take 10 to 14 days for my stuff to arrive its only an 8 hour drive in a car. With a smaller company you're the only load on the truck.

9. WilliamJ

WilliamJ SUPERMOD

my folks have moved 19 times since 1979, they always use the big companies, mayflower had the better rates the last few times. it costs 20k one way, all you have to do is hang pictures after they leave (if you choose).

10. VA49er

20K? They move to the moon?