1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Michael Stipe hates the Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by planetahead, Sep 11, 2009.

1. planetahead

planetahead Full Access Member

Of course, not everyone is a Beatles fan. Lead singer Michael Stipe, of the group R.E.M, when asked in a 1992 Rolling Stone interview about the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, responded that the Beatles were like elevator music. He did not even respond to the Stone’s question. Stipe, I believe, was being honest. Yet, his lack of awareness as to their impact was profound. I know “standing on the shoulders of giants” leaves him cold, but that sentiment also reflects a severe lack of existential awareness. I have never felt the same about Stipe or R.E.M.

2. HollyB

HollyB Iz Lives

17 years is a long time. You should let it go. Unless you're a beatle.

3. planetahead

planetahead Full Access Member

I hear you. But it was fashionable to hate the Beatles at the time. And he was right in on it. Lame.

4. drumhead954

drumhead954 Junior Member

Some folks...

are simply ignorant and proud of it. What is there not to like about the Beatles?!! They have EVERYTHING to do with where music has gone since the '60s...not debatable.

REM will be remembered as one of many " bit more than marginally talented" bands whose material will NOT be covered for decades to come, unlike the Beatles' music. Stipe is a doofus for sticking his neck out and making such a declaration. His jealousy is quite see-through.