1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

meatpile, you probably read this, but

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by p2k1f, Jun 13, 2002.

1. p2k1f

p2k1f Guest

it's on charlotte.com panthers page. it's a bit more info from fox about peppers. doesn't sound so ambiguous.

Posted on Thu, Jun. 13, 2002

Rookies responding to work load
    PAT YASINSKAS
    Staff Writer

It will be years before there is a final analysis on the Carolina Panthers' 2002 draft class, but coach John Fox said Wednesday the early results are impressive.

The Panthers are wrapping up the second of three weeks of coaching sessions today. The team doesn't wear pads and the sessions are geared toward learning, but Fox said he's seen plenty of promise from North Carolina defensive end Julius Peppers.

The second overall pick in the draft, Peppers has been lining up at both end positions and also has been standing up in certain situations. Fox said Peppers has been grasping all his assignments.

"He's doing very good," Fox said. "I've been impressed with all our guys. They've worked hard in the meeting rooms. They've worked hard in the... (the rest you read yesterday on panthers.com)

2. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

There was a good article in the Gaston Gazette this morning...

peppers

I think I just waver in and out of paranoia. Hard not to, considering Timmy, Peter, Rashard, etc.....

3. p2k1f

p2k1f Guest

i couldn't agree more. i think it's why some guys are so eager to say he's going to be a bust, because it won't hurt so bad again. but even if he is, i think we're on the right track with attitude and coaching style. edit: excellent article!

4. Piper

Piper Guest

Once bitten, twice shy, I suppose.

He really, really, HAS to work out for us. That’s the scary thing, and a lot to put on a college kid. If he busts, we are in a world of trouble cap wise. Although I think he’d have to molest a 10 year old boy to get cut before his 4th year.

And there’s expectations for him to be the 50 million dollar man right off the bat. I’m not sure a lot of fans would be “excited” about a solid, Justin Smith like rookie year. A Courtney Brown type year, where he flashed a couple of multi sack games and then goes down, fans would turn here, unfortunately.

Although one could argue they already have turned, and won’t come back strong until we start winning. So in that respect, perhaps the pressure will be a little off.

I do like what Fox is doing with him. Sets him up as a playmaker, but gets others involved as well. With Peppers ability to come out of space, we can zone blitz him, blitz him inside of Rucker from the OLB, run stunts inside with Williams with Peppers at DT, lots of imagination.

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I like it to a point. However, if he's not getting it done, are we moving him around to force production out of him in exchange for a lack of development? I don't remember Reggie White or Michael Strahan ever playing linebacker just for shits and giggles.

6. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

I'm as excited about our defense as I can remember.

We've got a strong front four, we've got depth there.
    We've got a strong set of LB's, and we've got depth there.
    Minter and Grant are studs, and we've got depth there.

Cornerback? Who needs cornerbacks?

I'm actually excited about CB. Someone's gonna earn a fat contract. Hopefully, 3 people will earn fair contracts.

Piper - When Pepper's contract starts to really get 'thick', Giblet is likely to be gone, which should help some.

7. PantherMills

PantherMills Guest

"Put me at cornerback and I can play there. Just tell me what to do and I’ll do it." - Julius Peppers.

With a quote like that, I really want to get excited about him. History is making me reserved until a couple of pre-season games, though.

It's good, however, to see a difinitive attitude coming from JP.

8. p2k1f

p2k1f Guest

his interview skills are definately on the rise. much better than
    'uh, i don't know what i think about it'. that kind of thing leaves too much to the imagination.

9. Wiggin

Wiggin Guest

True, but I also don't remember White or Strahan having Peppers speed or natural athleticism. I think this is more Fox trying to take the best possible advantage of Pepper's speed and athletic ability rather than trying to force production. I also think they are still trying to learn what he can and cannot do.

As for development, I actually like that they are allowing him to learn as many pass rush positions as possible. As a rookie, I do not expect an all-pro year regardless of what position they dedicate him to, so I like the fact they are teaching him to be a force from more than one spot. Despite some likely early struggles, I believe it will be a huge benefit in the long run.

10. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

From KFFL today:

11:02 PT: The Charlotte Observer reports Carolina Panthers rookie DE Julius Peppers has been lining up at both end positions. Head coach John Fox has been impressed with his hard work and metal toughness.