1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

mac mini

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by jazzbluescat, Feb 21, 2005.

1. jazzbluescat

jazzbluescat superstar...yo.

Whoa, what specially brought that up; a lot of RAM overworks the video card?
    [I assume the more sophisticated the games, the more wear & tear on the video card? However, I doubt I'll ever have that specific problem. Maybe the music editing program will push RAM to the limits? ....ya got me worried. :)]

You're insinuating that I probably don't need 2GB of RAM unless I'm going to play sophisticated games?

2. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

Nope just a vid card overheating and going bad. RAM doesn't always correlate to the vid card. I don't want to say they don't go hand in hand, but any good Vid Card now-a-days has its on RAM on board, but I'm just saying if you have a Vid Card that goes bad, or a network card that goes bad, what will you do with that system?

3. The Brain

You don't need 2Gb of RAM. Its nice and it sure as hell would speed things up, but it isn't necessary. You should WANT 2 Gig, but you don't NEED 2 Gig.

4. HardHarry

HardHarry Rebel with a 401(k)

It doesn't have cards Brain. It's a laptop in a mini-desktop box. Everything is onboard.

I think you're missing the point that it's a "disposable" computer, like an emachine desktop. You use it until it's obsolete then get another. This isn't an enthusiast machine.

The components themselves are standard and the same in every mac mini. It is warranteed.

5. jazzbluescat

Good to know; and at around $200 including installation per giga, I believe I'll go with 1GB if and when I get a MacMini.

6. The Brain

I see your point, but I was just never a fan of "disposable" computers. I guess I've always felt its something you buy that you can add to for about 4-6 years and still keep it respectable for usage. I kinda look at it like a car. As long as I keep it maintained and replace the belts, plugs, etc. every few miles it'll run me until it's useless.

7. jazzbluescat

re: disposable

I'm not quite sure that I know what y'all mean by disposable. Is the MacMini built with parts that won't last as long as a regular(desktop)computer?

8. y2b

y2b King of QC

I been away, so I missed this thread...

basically it's a $500 Mac...which blows away a $500 PC, well no, not really

if you really want a mac but can't afford the daddy, I guess if you really really want one...but a 1.25 GHz for a brand new computer?

I would atleast upgrade to the Superdrive for the DVD-RW for $100...and 512mb RAM comes standard...should be no problem running multiple apps at once

I wouldn't buy it for me, just not enough computer for today's macs, and if all you want it for is what you say, and you plan on adding RAM and extra cash out later for apps your friends don't have in mac platform...you could have bought a PC Laptop by then and in 3 or 4 years, get a lot more back for your money. PC's can run all Adobe apps too just as well. As small as it is, you still can't pick it up and walk around to anywhere in the house to surf the internet. :twocents: