1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

mac mini

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by jazzbluescat, Feb 21, 2005.

1. jazzbluescat

jazzbluescat superstar...yo.

I'd like y'all's educated opinions on the min mac. I heard that if all one uses the computer for is to basically surf the web that the mm is a fine machine.[re: storage I figure storage is no biggie, specially with available external stuff. (I've had my current pc for about a year and have used about 15% of it's storage space.) ]

mini mac

2. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

waste of money... what would you do if something simple fucked up? Could you replace it? Nope. Could you ever upgrade it? Nope.

3. HardHarry

HardHarry Rebel with a 401(k)

Its a great machine for a certain type of user. If you are going to ever have more than one app open though, you simply MUST upgrade the RAM above the base model. OSX is a memory hog.

4. jazzbluescat

By "...have more than one app open..." do you mean like having Notepad and
    Adobe opened simultaneously[or whatever's comparable in Mac] and/or two websites opened, etc.?

BTW, re: compatibility(and I may be off base here) do you know if I can use Adobe with a Mac[I have some very difficult to replace music books in Adobe.]?

And, The Brain, upgrades don't really concern me that much as long as I can do simple and basic tasks at a reasonable(subjective, I know) speed/pace. The repair issue seems to be my primary concern; eventhough, I've heard that Macs are particularly durable and hassle free, shit does happen.

5. HardHarry

Adobe what? InDesign? Acrobat? Basicly, thats a software issue with OSX. It has nothing to do with the mini. And yes, Adobe definitely designs for OSX.

Having two programs open (not two webpages) is going to cause the default mini (256 ram) to access the virtual memory (a section of the hard drive) which is MUCH slower than physical memory (RAM). It's bad enough on a PC/regular Mac, but the mini uses a notebook Hard Drive, which is even slower than a normal one.

My wife wants one, but we'll be upgrading the ram to 512 when we buy it. We've "test driven" them several times at the store. Coupled with a basic 17" LCD it is an astoundingly neat, small, quiet and generally capable machine. She does desktop publiching, for reference, including Adobe InDesign & creating PDFs.

PCs are for geeks like me who are always upgrading and tinkering. The mini is basicly a powerbook for the non-computer nerd who needs a desktop computer and wants something that is aestheticly and acousticly pleasing. Personally, I assign high value to those last two categories, as long as the basic package is capable, which this is, IF you bump up the RAM.

If you are going to game heavily, edit video, or do 3D modeling work, forget it.

6. HardHarry

7. jazzbluescat

Yeah, adobe acrobat, sorry. (Now I know there is and why there is an adobe and then an acrobat.) Anyhow, your assessment pretty much coincides with this guy's[kinda discribes my needs to a tee. :xyzthumbs ]:

A Mac can be a great computer for you. It is simple to use,has a great interface and is more secure than Windows.

However, it isn't for everyone. If you like buying/downloading and installing a bunch of software... It's not a good choice. Some games also do not make Mac versions.

If you are an average user... don't worry about lack of software. You can get Mac versions of pretty much any popular software.

Also, on one hand, it is more diffucult to find someone to work on your Mac. On the other hand, you are less likely to need help.

If nothing else, try to visit CompUSA/BestBuy and try one. The MacMini is a good machine for people switching from a PC that don't want to spend a lot of money.

Mac Mini review: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1753979,00.asp

Thanks for y'all's input. You guys are great.

8. Stewie

Stewie The Family Guy

Jazz

Don't bother with one of these - my dad was considering it and I managed to talk him out of it. Apples are great - I use them constantly (and have for many years) but this machine is about the Apple equal of a low model eMachine.

As for your friend's comment about being able to find the same software - yes and no. If you are talking about design/multimedia software (Adobe, Macromedia, etc.) and a handful of office applications then yes. Anything else - then no, and you might as well forget games.

Macs are more secure than PCs - but mainly because 98% of the world uses PCs so all the viruses that are written are designed to work on the PC platform.

If you really want a Mac and don't want to sport the money for a Power Mac G5 then consider an eMac or iMac - you will get more hp and expandability options.

9. jazzbluescat

Dumb question: Do you know if the standard antivirus programs are compatible with the Mac machines? I'm thinking AVGfree.

I'll look into those other models. But, for my needs, the Mini w/an upgraded RAM to 512 seems to be about all I need.

HardHarry, you don't think bumping the RAM up to 512 will overwork the (rest of the) computer, or maybe shorten it's life?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  10. HardHarry

I'm not sure in AVGfree has a Mac version, but I'm sure their website will tell you.

Wow, ok, now I think i understand your proficiency level (not meant to be condescending). The answer is HECK NO. If anything, it'll save some wear and tear on the machine's hard drive.

The mac mini has a 1.25Ghz processor (performs about as well as an Intel P4 2.0Ghz), which performs strongly in adobe type applications. If you want a traditional, upgradeable box, get the G5 (much more $$). If you want a slightly beefier machine in a different package, get the iMac (again, more $$, not really upgradeable though). I hate listening to PC guys bash Macs all the time because they don't understand Apple's marketing. The mac mini is an appliance. It's not designed to be upgradeable. And perish the thought, there are a bunch of buyers who just dont care if it is, because they don't need it to be. I think it's a cool product, but I do know that it's a first release, so I expect the next version to be even better.