1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Little E is gonna ride with the "enemy"

Discussion in 'SportsTalk' started by The Brain, Jun 12, 2007.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    no, you're right. They talk about NASCAR when I'm in the bathroom but talk about all other sports the rest of the day. It's absolutely not possible that there be two people in the state of North Carolina that might not live, breathe, and consume NASCAR 24/7.

2. BUCKO

BUCKO Full Access Member

Just askin' a question. I wouldn't talk NASCAR to you and could talk your ass off about every other kind of sport(including soccer) all day long so you wouldn't even miss it. But I could talk NASCAR all day long to someone who was interested in it.

I guess it's impossible that people might recognize that you're not interested in talking NASCAR and actually respect your feelings enough not to try to talk to you about it anyway, huh?

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

I'll talk about NASCAR. Nobody forced me into this forum. When my dad talks about it, I talk. I'm not disinterested, I don't have anything against it. I just don't watch it anymore.

That's to mean, I've never gone off on anybody for talking NASCAR to me. I've never given anybody reason to not talk NASCAR. I'd probably talk for a minute about it. I remember one job I was at, three years ago now, someone asked if I was a Gordon fan and I had to be a Gordon fan to fit in. That's my recollection of all the times someone's said NASCAR stuff to me. Matter of fact, I've told a couple stories along the way about when I had pit access and nobody really chimed in with an "OMG TONY STEWART LOL!!! HE"S SO DREAMY", but most of the guys I met back then are retired or dead.

4. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

Sounds like you might not be the overall sports fan you fancy yourself as.

Where did I say that it's not fair or that there is not enough coverage? I don't think either is true, so I'm not sure what I'd d be admitting to.

Look, you wanted to get a jab in at soccer, which is fine. But you really don't know what the hell you are talking about, so it kinda fell flat.

BTW - soccer's general season is fall to spring (with the major tourneys run in the summer), but there is a good bit of variation to that. It's tough to nail down a time frame when there are professional leagues in pretty much every time zone on both sides of teh equator.

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

Or, like most of America, I just don't care about Soccer. You do, and that's just dandy, but no reason to get in a bunch about it.

You said it wasn't a fair comparison, because it wasn't popular. Demand stated a lack of need compared to other sports. So how is it "unfair" that I compared it to other sports? Either the coverage is there, or it isn't there. There's nothing unfair about the comparison or, well, anything there at all. And flipping past a game of indeterminate origin doesn't equal gaining knowledge of the sport.

Wasn't a jab at soccer. It was a statement that I couldn't just absorb knowledge about what's going on with soccer without trying.
    Thanks, however, for being sensitive. I have no idea how anything there is a "jab" at soccer.

6. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

College football is huge in my neighborhood but I don't ever talk to anyone about it.

7. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

Congrats on that. I don't really care that much about NASCAR, but can tell you roughly what the season is and the major events.

I did say it's not a fair comparison. You turned that into "it's not fair that there's not enough coverage because it's not popular." Those are two very different things.

But you were comparing soccer coverage to NASCAR coverage, which isn't the fair comparison, because the numbers of people who follow each in this country is so disparate.

Sure it was. You like to get them in every once in a while. Which again is fine, but don't get defensive when someone calls you on it.

As for me being sensitive - that's pretty funny since I - and the roughly 4 billion or so other humans who follow soccer - really could care less what you think about the sport.

8. Trace

Trace Full Access Member

Kick-the-Can is big in my neighborhood. Those kids have some mad skillz.

9. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

But is it a big deal in your neighborhood?

10. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

That's not unfair. Popularity determines coverage, for the most part. I don't see any problem there. ACC basketball is more popular than ACC baseball, soccer, and so on. There's more coverage.

Show me the jab. I said the coverage was less than Hockey. Is that a jab? No way you could just be sensitive because you're a soccer fan.

You cared enough to get snippy about it.