1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Lions thin on healthy WRs

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by law1ng2b2, Oct 12, 2005.

1. law1ng2b2

law1ng2b2 Full Access Member

From the Detroit Free Press.

Lions thin on healthy WRs

McQuarters, Bly angle for offensive time
    October 11, 2005

Charles Rogers is suspended for substance abuse. Roy Williams has a thigh muscle issue. Mike Williams has back and hamstring problems. Eddie Drummond has a bruised shin and hyperextended knee. Scottie Vines has an ankle injury.

Kevin Johnson is the only one healthy and available.

The Lions are so thin at wide receiver that two cornerbacks -- Dre' Bly and R.W. McQuarters -- have volunteered to play offense.

Not good for the fifth-worst passing attack in the NFL.

"We're losing guys, but it doesn't change the fact we've still got to get better," quarterback Joey Harrington said. "It's going to be tougher with new guys in there, but we've got to do it."

The Lions will be without one, and maybe both, of their starting receivers Sunday against Carolina. Rogers has three games to go on his suspension. Coach Steve Mariucci said Roy Williams was going for an ultrasound Monday and his status was uncertain.

The next two receivers' roles could increase. Mike Williams said he had to push through because of the situation, that this was an opportunity for him and Johnson to make plays.

Who fills the third and fourth spots could be interesting. Mariucci said Drummond was questionable but the Lions were "hoping to get him back here relatively soon," and Vines was "limping around a little bit" but the Lions hoped he would practice.

Mariucci said the Lions probably would add a receiver or two to the practice squad so they could run full workouts, then determine whether to put someone to the 53-man roster. A way to add a receiver without cutting someone to make room would be to use a cornerback.

McQuarters approached Mariucci about it in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 35-17 victory over Baltimore, then grabbed him in the hallway Monday. McQuarters has never played receiver in the NFL, but said he averaged 100 plays a game in college at Oklahoma State -- offense, defense and special teams -- and he filled in well on returns Sunday after Drummond left the game.

"I'm up for it," McQuarters said, smiling. "It's a good idea. It's a great idea."

Bly said something to Mariucci on Monday, too. Bly has never played receiver in college or the pros, but having made two interceptions Sunday, he felt confident he was the best cornerback to catch some passes.

"R.W.'s my man," he said, smiling. "But I'm never going to say another man is better than me."

Mariucci joked about Bly because of Bly's penchant for pitching the ball after interceptions.

"I'm afraid he'll catch it and flip it to somebody," Mariucci said. "See, R.W.'s done it before. Dre' just wants to do it."

Perhaps Mariucci needed a laugh. The Lions had only 97 passing yards Sunday, and they're averaging 147.2 per game.

"Some of our precision in that area is not there yet, and it's got to get there," Mariucci said. "We're working like crazy on it. It's got to happen."

Harrington is taking a lot of heat. This season he's 59-for-115 for 597 yards, with four touchdowns and seven interceptions.

Mike Williams defended him, pointing out the Lions had faced some of the NFL's top defenses and the receivers needed to help him.

"With the defenses we've faced in the last couple weeks, I think Joe hasn't done anything to hurt us," Williams said. "It's not easy. You play good defenses, and good defenses make plays, and they do some things, and every throw is not going to be perfect. I just don't see what all the big fuss is about. ...

"Joe throws the ball, and it's our job to make the play. We're big, strong, fast guys. It's our job to make plays when guys are all over us, when guys are a step close to us. I think that makes Joey's job easier when we make those plays."

2. bkfountain

bkfountain Full Access Member

too bad the one person that never gets hurt is harrington...

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    If Harrington got hurt, they don't have much else.

But yeah. I was as worried about their receivers as the rest of the team. them, and Pollard.
    Mooch is going to earn his paycheck just getting this shit out on the field, but I gotta admit it might be fun watching two midget defenders like McQuarters and Bly trying to be WRs.

4. HeadCase

HeadCase dazed and confused

The Lions are so thin at wide receiver that two cornerbacks -- Dre' Bly and R.W. McQuarters -- have volunteered to play offense.

interesting concept. i wonder if there's any chance we can get a couple of our WRs to play DB.

5. Savio

Savio Freelance Pimp

is Mike Williams going to play Sunday?

6. tharan000

tharan000 Full Access Member

Well, we currently only have 1 CB that is playing worth a shit so I say this makes the situation a scratch.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  7. law1ng2b2

law1ng2b2 Full Access Member

according to their website, Mike Williams is confident he will play.

Wide receiver Mike Williams came out of the win over Baltimore with a slight hamstring injury, but he feels he will have no problem getting out there on Sunday against Carolina.

“It’s just a hamstring,” said Williams. “I think everything else came from just playing that much on the field. I never played more than 32 plays and I played 50 and it’s kind of different. The only thing left is the hamstring and I’m trying to take care of that.”

8. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

Carolinas pass defense will probably make them want to play :banginghe

9. Boo

Boo Cornholio

Bly won’t play offense.

Roy Williams might play…it’ll end up being a game time decision. I'm betting he plays considering he played hurt most of last year.