1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Life

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality Forum' started by slydevl, Dec 16, 2004.

1. slydevl

slydevl Asshole for the People!

What is it? And I mean in the grand scheme. Where did it come from? I guess you have two choices. It always existed for eternity (try to wrap some brain cells around that one) or it spontaneously evolved. That is, two choices if you don't believe in God.

Look at the building blocks of life. Carbon, water, etc. By themselves not possessed of life. So how would life spontaneously come into exhistence? Seems to me some sort of chemical reaction would seem most likely. But do you really expect me to believe that from that first chemical reaction was also born abstract things like instinct and a desire to replicate or procreate? How did we get from that first single celled organism to us? Is evolution nothing but a series of increasingly more complex chemical reactions?

Are humans in totality nothing more than grand electric factories caused by the interactions of non living substances and, if that is the case, are we really alive? Seems silly to me that things like love, dreams, and understanding symbolism can be derived from nothing more than the interaction of non living substances.

Just a stream of consciousness from me to you.......enjoy.

2. BigVito

BigVito Splitting Headache

3. BigVito

In all seriousness, I would recommend reading some Stephen Jay Gould on evolution. Brilliant mind and good writer.

The questions you ask are the basic ones. "How and why are we here?"
    I believe that we really aren't much more than "grand electric factories" with one exception. The ability to reason.

We aren't eternal beings but finite bits of matter that have but mere moments to exist. What we choose to do with those moments is what gives significance to our lives or else we are simply, as Bill Hicks put it, "viruses with shoes."

4. QueenCityHillbilly

QueenCityHillbilly Bitch, I Will Kill You

I don't know what it is, but it's not ours.

5. slydevl

slydevl Asshole for the People!

You can hook the processing power of every man made computer together and it still couldn't do the things a single human mind can do.

So basically, you are saying that by accident, we evolved into the most powerful Dells in the world.

I also find it hard to believe that a fantastic collection of dirt would develop things like a sense of self preservation or care about an afterlife.

6. articulatekitten

articulatekitten Feline Member

One of the problems I have with evolutionary theory is that--going back to the supposed beginning of life--it seems to violate the basic principle of biogenesis; that is, that life comes only from pre-existing life. You can't get life from dead matter.

Science isn't my strong suit, but I'll have to get around to reading some Gould, I guess.

7. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I think it takes faith to believe in God and it takes faith to be an athiest too. It is just a matter of where you place your faith not whether or not you have any.

8. BigVito

You find one thing hard to believe so you choose to have faith in something else that is just as much, if not more, fantastical. Makes sense.

No accident to it, sly. That which progressed the species, made it more adaptable and efficient, was passed on. That which failed to do so, went away. Far from accidental. Logical.

9. BigVito

He makes things very accessible, AK.

10. BigVito

What type of faith? Faith in science? Faith in humanity? Faith in reason? Faith in the ability of human beings?

Hmm, maybe faith in mythology would be preferable.