1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Kyle Allen

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by meatpile, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Black&Black

Black&Black Try My Product

I disagree there. The line and passing scheme is a big reason why Allen looks like a franchise quarterback. Norv's playcalling can get on my nerves but his scheme is extraordinarily QB friendly. So much so that I think he's indispensable as an OC, even if we're a little softer than I'd prefer.

2. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

The only thing I would change is the power running game. We've lost two games this season at the other team's goal line. That's an area where we do miss a healthy Cam, badly.

3. Black&Black

I agree, and McCaffrey doesn't need to be on the field 97% of the time. That's unsustainable.

4. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

I'm really focusing on Allen, because I need a positive takeaway from the game. His ability to escape pressure was pretty good yesterday. He made some poor decisions, which will improve with experience. I like his athleticism, and would like to see him get stronger and push the ball a little more. It's not just the scheme, he looks better than a lot of other 23 year old QBs.

meatpile and Coach Micool like this.
  5. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

And he needs to freaking hold on to the ball!

6. Black&Black

My point is that he's basic and most NFL QBs are basic. I'm not convinced that he can get much better, but his floor is perfectly acceptable. I just don't see him making a ton of uncommon plays. Pretty much every quarterback can improvise a little bit in 2019.

7. Black&Black

My ideal scenario would be Allen starting with a veteran reclamation project as the #2. I'd like to see how Norv could smooth out the edges of a guy like Bortles or RG3.

8. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

I would be happier with a healthy Cam and a Kyle that looks like he’s worth a high pick. There’s a bad team out there somewhere that’s desperate for a QB.

9. Coach Micool

Coach Micool Let's Go Brandon!

Holding on the the ball is a legit issue. Don't know how he corrects that.

He impressed me yesterday. He threw for over 300 yds. He made good decisions mostly, sans one or two including the int. He had us in position to win on the final drive.

He does have some excapability and rarely gets worried about pressure leading him to run first or not completing his reads and spazing out- he's calm in the pocket. He's smart.

He's pretty dang accurate in the pocket and on the run. He sees most of the field most all the time. He finds the open guys when the play breaks down with the first read.

I like the guy. This year is really a throw away so give him lots of reps, don't wear out cmc, get back to stopping the run and being disciplined, and Allen likely (if he plays and cam is gone or whatever-or if cam comes back and allen is the 2nd) will be damn good next year. I'm not depressed at all with his play and am actually enjoying him and cmc. A guy at his age and rep count is usually fucking up a lot worse, especially someone who wasn't a top 10 pick.

I like him way better than many of the current starters in the league. I don't want grier to ever see the field unless we're playing against him.

I think K. Allen can be on par with Stafford, Carr, Flacco, Ryan, Cousins, Foles, Wentz, Prescott, Bridgewater and Goff with more experience and better oline. He's as good as Garoppolo, Brissett, Mayfield and Murray right now. He's better than Keenum, Rosen, Tannehill, Jones, Dalton, Darnold, Mariota, Trbutski, Fitz, and Winston even, right now, imo. He could get worse, but anything's possible at this point. He has a high ceiling with the right coaching and cast around him as well, imo.

He's never going to be Wilson, Mahomes, Rogers, Rivers (possibly), Brees (would be nice), L. Jackson, Roethlisberger or Newton (at 23 yo) because he doesn't have the physical abilities of some of those guys, but those guys rarely come along.

I'm happy as can be with the guy.

I'm fucking pissed at the defense, in most all facets - and the 3-4 sucks with these guys. STs too.

With an upgrade or two on the o-line, upgrade or two on the d-line and two upgrades at safety, I think the team could be real good. With Allen.

meatpile likes this.
  10. Black&Black

The two turnovers were backbreaking, though. Let's not downplay that. Those were two massive swings in a close game.

Coach Micool and meatpile like this.