1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Kansas-Texas

Discussion in 'SportsTalk' started by wossa, Feb 11, 2002.

1. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

That may have been one of the best college games I have seen in a long time. It was non-stop up and doen the court.

Oklahoma matched up good with Kansas but that Kansas team is something else. That is a team that can give dook a run for their money. They are extremely athletic and go all out for 40 minutes.

They have great guards, a good center, good bench and a great coach. This may finally be Roy's year to win it all.

2. blueblood1

blueblood1 Guest

Wossa, do you think RW's looked at what he knew would be in Lawrence as opposed to Chapel Hill and chose the Jayhawks accordingly? I'm beginning to think that way. Not that I mind. WIlliams wasn't my first choice anyway. Good luck to him and the Jayhawks though.

3. wossa

yeah I think he knew he had a great senior class this year and it was tough to hand that over to somebody else to win with.

Roy has gotten knocked just like Dean did because he hasn't won the big one yet but in my opinion he is largely responsible for the shambles that is the UNC basketball program this year.

He lobbyed Daen for many years for the UNC job. It was a foregone public and private conclusion that he was the next in line after Gut. I don't mind him staying at Kansas for all the right reasons but he should have told Dean and Gut that he was becoming a "Kansas Man" so they would have started looking in other directions.

His drawn out public agony and resulting pep rally made UNC a laughing stock and forced Carolina to make a quick coaching decision at an impossible time. Doherty may someday be a great coach. he is already proven to be a great recruiter but it is obvious that he is not a good "team motivator" or bench coach yet.

Every coach has to learn these things but UNC is too high profile a program for a young coach to cut his teeth on. It was okay in the early 60's for Dean but not today.

unfortunately Doherty will have to learn fast. He likely has only two years to get these guys vying for final fours again or he will be gone.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

No Blueblood, I think Williams realized what he had done at Kansas and felt bad for leaving the school. If you remember, it was very tough for him to turn down his "dream job."

Kansas is very good but I don't think they are all that athletic. They definitely know how to win, from blowing out their rivals to getting a close conference win on the road. I don't think KU is on Duke's and Maryland's level but they could go a long way...assuming they don't run into a team like Cincinnati that could trap the hell outta them....

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Wossa, I disagree that you can blame Williams for most of the Heels problems this year. Based on the recent article I read about Deano's participation in the job search, they still had some experienced candidates on the table. It sounds like the chancellor and the athletics director were the ones rushing to sign Doherty up.

What would have been the harm in taking your time? One year's class of recruits? How short-sighted does that look now?

Also, back to Williams, imo, he did not owe UNC anything. He gave the offer VERY serious consideration and decided against it. That's not unfair, that's life.

6. WYDD

WYDD Guest

yeah, no shit. I mean, well what if roy wanted to build his own legacy??? That selfish bastard. There's 400 million (probably around 15,000 now) unc fans to make happy. I doubt the incoming class had ANYTHING to do with his decision. That kind of shallow thinking doesn't make him be as successfull as he is today. Maybe you should look at the AD who gave Deano's wish as a replacement 14 seconds of his time and then shoved him out the door. Larry Brown is the only PROVEN winner that carolina has out there that i can think of off the top of my head. And don't say Karl. These college kids wouldn't put up with his crap, and it's starting to wear thin with the bucks. If they don't make the playoffs this year (i think they're sitting right at .500), Karl will be out of the job. That'll be #2 where he wore out his welcome. If the heels fans weren't so caught up with having former alum coach the team, they would've gotten Majerus and you heels fans wouldn't be crying lack of talent this year. End of story.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Well I can't really say it any better, I'm just finding it hard to believe that 'ol Deano didn't get his wish. He seems to run that damn school, even now.

8. wossa

No unfortunately Dick ( with the emphasis on DICK) Baddour runs the show right now. Dean always has and always will carry alot of weight around Chapel Hill but, as much as every dookie loves to trash him, Dean was too much of a standup guy to steam roll baddour.

Dean was also alot more gracious about Williams rejection than me or just about any other UNC fan or associate was. ANd if any of you illiterates would go back and read my post you would see that I said and I quote "I don't mind him staying at Kansas for all the right reasons".

I just really disliked the way he left them with every indication he was taking the job but then displayed his "agony" over the decision by holding a big bash in front of 16m in Allen Field house - He might as well went ahead and just said "Gosh it really was a tough decision, but "FUCK YOU UNC, WHERE'S THE CHAMPAGNE LETS PARTY!"

As far as timing that was just about the worst time to go coach shopping. Every college coach was getting ready to hit the recruiting trail. Many big time coaches that may have been interested at other times probably wouldn't have been at that time.

The news from Chapel Hill is pretty disturbing about how baddour dissed Brown and Majerus just to show that his brass cajones were shinyer than Dean's now.

i really don't hold anything against Williams anymore. by saying its all his fault is to say that things wouldn't be near this bad right now if Williams had come to town. Forte would likely have come back. and Williams would be able to coax more wins out of this years rag tag bunch which he would have had dumped on him just like Doherty did.

All the UNC is history talk wouldn't even be crossing people's lips. He had a smooth running cadilacc waiting on him in Chapel Hill that just needed some new paint and tires.

Looks like Doherty is running it ragged and let the body rust through.

Hope he can take better ca.re of next year's "new model"

9. Wos, a "new Cadillac"? I had an STS, which had a great engine, but every time it needed work - well, you better have those "regenerative kidneys" working - 'cause you'd need to sell one to get that boat out of hock!

No question Williams would have done a better job - would have been fun to watch he and K "go at it". But I think this Heel team needed an overhaul, not just paint & tires. Could Forte and Capel co-existed? Doubtful. Could even Williams have brought "coordination" to Lang? Could Williams have kept Morrison on his medication?

I think at best Carolina could have been .500 this season, with an excellent coach. Doh might get it going - it is early. If you don't see success in 10 or so years, then I'd get a new coach.

How Doh finishes the season will be critical - the fadeout in the ACC title game and vanishing act against a FOOTBALL school in the NCAAs would probably be relished right now. Instead, Doh needs them to play hard, win the games they should (any?) and play for next season. You know, when Lang & Capel add to the long list of UNC NBA stars...

10. gutter

gutter Ruud Van Nistilroy

First, Roy would not turn the job down based on UNC's current roster. That's a pretty stoopid assumption. Baddour went hogwild telling everybody Roy's a coming, just like he did with Beamer. Baddour is a freakin idiot. He had nothing to do with UNC's success which rested solely on Michaelangelo and Gut. I wish Dean would tell him to step down and let me handle this. I wold rather have Majerus as head coach. I don't care where you played ball at, it has no signifigance to me. Doh will be fine he is just an inexperienced coach with an inexperienced team and that spell strouble. I'd give him longer than two years. How quickly we forget he was AP coach of the year last year. he earned it.