1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Just saw on sportscenter bottom line...

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by WYDD, Mar 25, 2002.

1. WYDD

WYDD Guest

That we signed Michael Bates again. Guess we're going for double threat on the kick return. Either that or stevie wonder isn't gonna return kicks, but i don't think that's gonna happen.

2. SemperFi

SemperFi Full Access Member

With Bates and Smith both back, it will make it hard for opposing teams to pick which threat to kick to. Also like releasing high priced players for one year and hiring them back at league minimum. Good move.

3. Xcaliber

Xcaliber Guest

I like the move, sorta like pick your poison. The one constant with the team no matter what our record is that we have great Special Teams play.

4. WYDD

WYDD Guest

except against green bay and the rams.

5. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

6. Y2Buddy

Y2Buddy Guest

Did we really sign Bates back? Wow. I like it. I love it.

I think that gives us a great kick-off return team, and Smith would still be our PR. That would basically allow him into the offense a little more.

Not only that, but wow on Special Teams. Bates and Cooper laying out hits is a big plus too. Bates is a Pro Bowl ST player on both sides of the ball.

Do you think our new Assist. HC said "Hey, what about me a bone? You can't just get all the new guys on Off & Def, ST is important too!"

and I assume for vet minimum ofcourse. Now go get Davis.

7. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

This has potential... I see Bates as the #1 Kick Off guy with Smith being the secondary option... Smith will continue to return punts... Bates returns to the Kickoff team where he was quick and could hit... and Smith now witll be able to play more on offense... I TOLD you I expect more reverses this year and this makes that a LARGE possibility

8. Y2Buddy

Y2Buddy Guest

I also like it because it takes Byrd out of ST, except for back-up PR. I think this could be an excellent year for him receiving.

9. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I don't see Bates as the #1 option on kick returns. Smith was far more productive last year.

It seems like a wasteful signing IMO> We've got holes all over the place and we're strengthening a strength.

10. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

I agree it wasn't needed but the ONLY reason I see Bates being the #1 Kick Off return guy is because that way Smith wouldn't be as banged up and could play more at WR... but I honestly would have rather seen a NUMBER of people brought in before Bates... and it could be Carolina brass brought him in because of his name... they want to sell seats this year and he's a name they know... I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire in a year or two and help O'Brien with the ST