1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

It's going to be a fun weekend

Discussion in 'Home Improvement & DIY Forum' started by Cyberjag, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

Back in late May I saw a Craigslist ad for a Yamaha XLT1200 Jet Ski for $800. The catch, and you knew there would be one at that price, is that one of the cylinders had no compression and the engine had 500 hours on it anyway. Still a deal, IMO, so I grabbed it and ordered a rebuilt engine for it from SBT. It was supposed to be here by June 20, but because of the Not-saying-it's-Chinese-but-it's-Chinese virus, it got delayed and didn't get here until last night.

This is what's on tap for the weekend. I've always been a good shade tree mechanic, and I have a 15 year old boy who needs to learn. I hope to have the ski in the water Sunday.

New engine on the right.

upload_2020-8-20_9-51-37.png

And yes, I know my peg board is whacked, but I store my main tools in a rolling box anyway.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Coach Micool and canesin4 like this.
  2. Coach Micool

Coach Micool Let's Go Brandon!

How much for the new engine? Good stuff. Yamahas are great runners. I have a pair of seadoo gtx's with rotax motors.

3. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

$1,695 for the engine. It gets 135hp stock, but there are mods that will boost it to 155. I probably won't go that route though, all I like to do is jump waves on the ocean and you generally don't get over 20mph doing those. Admittedly, getting to the waves at 70mph is kind of fun.

4. Coach Micool

Doing 70 in the ocean is pretty strong.

5. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

On the canals you can go fast, when the water is smooth as glass at high tide. Once you're on the ocean, you're lucky to hit 30-40 before you have to dodge a wave or make a quick cut. Most of the time I'm doing about 20-25 and it feels a hell of a lot faster. You get a lot more air than you would think--I came down so hard on one jump that I jacked my back up for a day.

6. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

In other news, my son did this to his jet ski last Wednesday.

upload_2020-8-20_14-50-33.png

Must have been a piece of the pier that broke apart in Isias under the surface. All wasn't lost though, I got a great deal on a used GP1200R on Thursday, which has the same engine as the XLT1200. In other words, it's faster than what you see in the picture, which is headed for the salvage yard (I already swapped the hull out on it once, no thank you!). He was back on the water on Friday.

Instruments on the new one don't work, but I should have a new Gauge Cluster (used but low hours) by EOD tomorrow, and the glovebox door was gone (getting a used one of those mid-next week). Still, the kid put at least 10 quality hours on it, and loves the power. It amazes me how people will cut prices drastically to move what they think is a defective ski. The guy I bought it from played off the display not working and acted like it would, not realizing that he priced it at less than half of what it was worth even with a bad display. The engine on it PURRS, and I can't wait to give it my full attention once the XLT is finished.

7. Coach Micool

Gotta watch trash in the water after a storm. Glad he wasn't hurt. You should black out your nc #s.

8. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

The GP1200R has new gauges and a glovebox and runs like a top. I'm dropping the engine in my XL1200 limited tonight. Should have two monster Jet Skis this weekend.

Not worried about blackout out the VN because it's already been salvaged and the title canceled.

9. Coach Micool

I hate working on jet skis' engine compartments. Tears my hands and arms all to pieces. But I love to ride em. Hat's off to ya for doing so like you have.

10. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

I think I might like doing the mechanical stuff and watching my kids enjoy them more than I like riding them myself.