1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Is it the QB or the Receiver?

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Thelt, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

Last year Smith came out of nowhere to become an elite wide receiver. This year Moose had a huge resurrgence and became an elite wide receiver. My question is did these guys just get a lot better or did Jake make them look good? Once Jake is comfortable with a go to receiver he tends to throw it his way a lot. After Smith went down it took Jake a few games to get in sync with Moose but once he did it was great.

My whole point is maybe we do not need to pay Moose a huge contract when we will be getting Smith back anyway and Jake tends to throw to one guy most of the time.

2. The Cat

The Cat Full Access Member

It would be like cool if he could go to who ever is hot at the time. Who would the defenses double?

3. y2b

y2b King of QC

it's all Henning

4. rake

rake Need one of these

So magnus doesn’t have to say it –
    Smitty can’t block like Moose can and Colbert isn’t ready to assume the big every down possession guy role either. As much as you would LOVE to convince yourself and anyone else here who would happily skip behind you, WE STILL NEED MOOSE.

5. Piper

Piper phishin member

I think last year, Jake was targeting Smith because Smith plays a little faster, breaks his routes off shorter than they are called, and Jake's looks to get the ball out pretty quick.

This year, we needed to throw downfield more, and the trust factor was thier with Moose more for being reliable.

In both cases though, particuarly this year with Moose, I see recievers making plays on balls. Jake's going to throw it in their, you've got to have guys who will aggresively come back to the ball and make plays on the ball in the air. Moose did this a lot, the TD to Colbert in the Bucs game is another example.

I don't see us getting by with Brady's recievers, in other words. They make a lot of catches without needing a lot of adjustment.

Whether we get Moose back or not, we need to have that kind of player. In our scheme, Moose was a big time blocker too, so I don't see Colbert taking that role.

So we do IMO need investment in the reciever position with Jake as a QB, whether its Moose or someone else.

6. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I just dont see any circumstance where Moose duplicates this season unless Smith goes down again.

7. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    no, he probably wouldn't duplicate that, nor would we be playing from behind so much (or throwing in general as much, considering when things go "right" we tend to be dormant for about 10 weeks).

Of course, we signed Smith based on the fact he wouldn't have 90 catches, either.

And if you take the last two months of 03, actually, his numbers are about the same as his season averages this year, but with fewer TDs. So the ability to move the ball in a progressive offense hadn't changed from when Smith was there to when he wasn't, so I don't honestly think that signing Muhammad means a huge dropoff in what he'll do. To expect All-Pro for 2-3 years of a five year contract is ludicrous, and doubtful, but he wont' go to a Colbert season if he's next to Smith, especially early.

8. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I want him back but I do think expectations and along with them what we are willing to pay need to be tempered.

9. McFly41

McFly41 Work Hard...PLAY HARDER!

It's up to Moose, if he wants to test the market he will. Otherwise, he will be paid just shy of fair market value due to his age if he wants to stay a Panther. He'll get a lowball offer initially, then his agent will counter and there will be lots of back and forth before March. I don't see this getting done quickly.

10. rake

rake Need one of these

That right there is likely to be truth, and a damn tragedy in that some scrotum tickler like Ray Lewis or some such dildo in Hawaii could fill Moose’ head with visions of sugar plums dollar signs and Super Star top billing somewhere where Smitty won’t be to steal any of that thunder he got used to hearing.
    If it goes down that way FUCK ALL OF YOU MYOPIC Mo FOS hootin hollerin and backflippin for every Panther to be voted all pro and to the pro bowl.:shakehead