1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

I'm getting ready to stir the pot.

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Sackem90, May 28, 2003.

1. Sackem90

Sackem90 Misplaced Panthers Fan

The Panthers have a VERY bad PR image. They need to get a better PR dept. I have to relate this story from a talk show radio host that I know here in ColaTown. Granted, he's not from a huge station, but the guy's knowlegable.

He is telling me that he was talking to one of his fellow church mates after church on Sunday very recently and they got to talking about the fellow that owns the new Charlotte NBA franchise, Robert Johnson (?). They were talking how Charlotte has a large population of African-Americans and that they thought that the franchise would be successful. Then, the talk turned to the Panthers. The fellow that the radio guy was talking to mentioned that the Panthers weren't in Charlotte anymore. He (the other guy) had thought the Panthers had relocated. THe radio guy told him no, that the Panthers were still in Charlotte. The guy was floored! He actually thought that the Panthers were gone.

Now, that is sad.:( The radio guy said that he rarely gets any calls from any Panthers fans. I am about the only Panthers fan that he knows of here in Columbia. NOBODY calls into to his show to talk about the Panthers. He told me that Chartric Darby (TB Buccaneers) calls in a good bit, but no Panthers fans or players. This is absolutely terrible that nobody beyond Charlotte knows much about the Panthers. I know that we have people on here that are from other states, but hardly anybody knows or cares about the Panthers. This is truly sad.

I do have to say that he and I get into friendly discussions about Jake D. being our possible starting QB, but that's another thread.:D

I'm sorry, but I just had to vent and let people know how bad our PR dept. is. Sad, sad, sad.

2. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

First, where are you?

Second, I don't think this is a Panthers PR problem. Hell, my wife doesn't know shit about other teams in the NFL, and she's a sports fan.

3. lde

lde Teddy and Gabriel

I don't think it is either. The Panthers are going to have to win big to reach that guy's mind. (the one who thought they were gone)

The Panthers have a winning problem, and a problem that football isn't that big here. Winning, and players staying out of trouble, is the solution.

4. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Yep. Winning changes that.

People knew about the Panthers in 1996.

Well, that was the ONLY TIME IN FRANCHISE HISTORY that we've ever been winners.

5. batgrafix

batgrafix hannle yo biddness

It is a problem -

In Raleigh, they don't cover the panthers, neither does Willmington or most of South Carolina.

Now, if they WIN, things might change, but for a team that is supposed to be "Carolina's team", I think they are doing a poor job.

Also, so are the Canes too IMO :D

I don't think the Panthers try to get into the public eye for the right reasons... (promotional stuff, ads, etc.)

6. Sackem90

Sackem90 Misplaced Panthers Fan

Bat, exactly my point. The radio dude was telling me that the fellow that he was talking to is NOT as dumbass when it comes to sports. This church member is very knowlegable in regards to sports.

The radio guy was telling me that it is all of the negative things that we're known for, like Carruth, Lane, Terry that's hurting us.

To address mathmajors, I am in Columbia, SC and the radio station is 840 WCEO. Yes, it is not as big as WVOC with their sports shows, but the "Huffman", as he's called, has a show on every Saturday morning from 11 am to 12 noon. I haven't had a chance to listen to all of Stacy's show, but I'm going to try to listen this Saturday to give him some feedback when I see him next week.

If there are any Panthers fans in Columbia, we need to really pimp the positives. I try to do that, but then I get laughed at when I try to give a positive outlook, like Jake being our starter. Stacy asks me every time if I really and truly think that he's starter material. He thinks our offense sucks big time and we won't do any better than last year's record. *sigh* :(

7. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

I see what you're saying now.

8. Wiggin

Wiggin Full Access Member

As others have stated, this is not a PR problem, it is a winning problem. The reason nobody carries the Panthers is because they have been losers for most of their existence, and in general, people do not get excited or care about a losing team...especially one so young that they have no history with.

Furthermore, throughout both NC and SC, NFL fans have teams they've followed for many years, and its going to take a better product to get them interested. The beginnings are here, but it will take more than 1 good year to make the average fan see this as a team worth getting excited about.

We do have a problem with our reputation, but that's not because of poor PR, but because the only times the Panthers get in the news is when somebody runs afoul of the law. If the team had been winning, most of the problems (with the exception of Carruth) would have been of little notice...just as they are when players of other teams have problems.

By the way, I question anyone's general sports knowledge who thinks the Panthers are no longer in Charlotte. They obviously are not devout followers of the NFL, and likely have confused the Panthers for the Hornets. That is basic.

9. DJ_Tet

DJ_Tet Full Access Member

I've been a voice complaining about the lack of Panthers and Hornets coverage in Raleigh. However, last year the local sports radio station got the Panthers, and their coverage increased tenfold. Go figure.

Anyway, the Hornets NEVER got love up here, but the Panthers have gotten better the past 1 1/2 years.

10. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

I'll tell you one thing. I live in SC and it really pisses me off that the state won't issue a license plate with the Panther logo on it like NC offers. NC even has plates with the Clemson paw on it. I am about ready to move back to NC. Isn't Richardson from SC anyway? You would think they would get behind the Panthers a little. Bottom line the Carolina's are college oriented states. Unless they win professional teams have little support