1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

I need a good steak marinade

Discussion in 'Food & Drink Forum' started by canesin4, Aug 24, 2018.

1. canesin4

canesin4 Full Access Member

Something different. Can anybody help me out?

2. Coach Micool

Coach Micool Let's Go Brandon!

Nothing available in canada, sorry.

If you need more than salt, pepper, garlic & butter (or olive oil), you need a better cut of meat.

I know you have good cuts of USDA prime Canadian Black Angus. It's what I have in my pasture.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Big Red likes this.
  3. canesin4

canesin4 Full Access Member

OK

4. Coach Micool

Coach Micool Let's Go Brandon!

Seriously, take your meat out of the fridge and swab it with olive oil, drench it with fresh ground black pepper, salt and minced garlic on both sides, and let it sit like that on the counter for a hour or so and let it assume room temp for sure.

Grill it or pan sear it till you like it, then let rest for 15 mins. Coat it with butter and minced garlic and throw it in a hot pan (whether you grilled it before or not) and sear it again for about 30 secs to 1 min per side. That will also create a good caramelization of the outside, which will make it even more tasty.

You can do the same with a thick cut of pork loin medallions too. I like Stubbs pork marinade on pork if I use one.

I don't buy anything for a steak marinade. Although food lion makes a house brand of steakhouse marinade which is pretty good for spreading on steak kabobs along with all the other stuff on the kabobs like peppers, onions, etc.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Big Red likes this.
  5. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

You seriously have a pasture? Do you sell meat to the public? And if so, are you local to the Charlotte area?

6. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

I'm in the "if you need a marinade you have a shitty cut of meat" crowd. But if you do have a shitty cut of meat, Allegro makes a good marinade. I use it for kebobs and sometimes London Broil.

If you're just cooking a steak, then the best thing you can do starts at the butcher. Get it cut thick, between 1.5 and 2 inches. Ask for a couple of pieces of fat. Render the fat in your pan before you cook the steak--it's MUCH better to cook in than oil, and can make a meh steak taste like a great one.

The pan should be a cast iron skillet, and it should be HOT. I'm ok with salting and peppering the crap out of your steak before you cook it, and also just leaving it as is and adding both later. But I do think it's best when you salt it moderately and use fresh black pepper all over the outside before you cook it.

Make sure the steak is at room temperature.

Get your oven super hot, I like it at 450. Wash a couple of russet potatoes and coat the outsides liberally with salt, the bigger the granules the better (I use kosher salt for this). Put the potatoes in the oven for an hour.

About a half hour before the potatoes are done, get your skillet HOT. Using your tongs, put your steak in it on it's edge for about 3 minutes. Then repeat for the other edges. You want to get that fat rendering and prepare the meat for cooking. Now you can cook the steak on each side for 4-5 minutes. You want it well-seared, but not charred.

Open a nice bottle of red and put it in a carafe to breathe.

At this point, it will be bloody-rare on the inside, borderline raw. Put your skillet in the oven with the potatoes for 5-10 minutes (any longer and your steak will be well done and that will make you worse than Trump, may as well break out the ketchup).

This is optional, but at some point consider mincing garlic and sauté it in about a half a stick of butter.

Take the steak out of the pan and put it on a rack. Do NOT rest the steak on a plate, because that will end up cooking it more.

You can cook asparagus or onions or any other vegetable in the juices while the steak rests. I like asparagus, and have been known to drizzle soft mozzarella on it just as it's finishing cooking--the melted cheese in it is a nice touch.

If you did the butter thing, brush the steak with the butter while it's resting.

Load up the potatoes with sour cream, green onions, and butter. Cut the steak in half and share it with your S.O. Add the vegetables you cooked in the steak juices. Serve with wine.

If that doesn't get you laid, I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2019
    Coach Micool and Big Red like this.
  7. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

8. Big Red

Big Red Alpha, Thing, It

Is steak as big of a thing in Canada as it is here in the US?

9. dig-it

dig-it Wait'n On That Post Rookie Deal

moose steak
    elk steak

Coach Micool likes this.
  10. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

Elk steak is amazingly good