1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

HURNEY FIRED

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Black&Blue_, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Majordobie

Majordobie Full Access Member

I must have missed this somewhere. Not doubting you, but I don't recall it. Source?

2. Collin

Collin soap and water

We discussed it in numerous threads as far back as March 2013 when Gettleman forced Gross to restructure his contract. While Jordan didn't directly call out the fat man like DeAngelo did, after the 2013 season he did tell ESPN that he was sure Ron Rivera wanted him back while refusing to answer the follow-up question about the GM.

3. Majordobie

Majordobie Full Access Member

Ten-Four. Thankee.

4. Purrsy

Purrsy Full Access Member

He also told Gettleman to his face he didn't like him at the retirement ceremony.

5. Collin

Collin soap and water

I hadn't seen this before:

"When I went there as a rookie, that's all everybody told me about, that it's a real family organization 'cause that's how Jerry Richardson runs it," defensive end Greg Hardy told me during a Wednesday trip to ESPN headquarters.

"Gettleman coming in with a money-first attitude ticked everybody off, man. So he kind of changed the face of the organization to: It is a business, and once business is settled we can be a family.

6. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Stinky

Isn't that what it should be?

7. presidence99

presidence99 es lo que hay.

To modify a term I've heard before you need a velvet hammer- a ruthless business side with a friendly pr side.

8. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

I think we had been - and we never won back to back. Family got us some bad contracts.

Not defending gettleman - but the Patriots run it that way. I'd imagine that the tough part of transitioning the culture of an organization is not being able to whack the beneficiaries of the old culture immediately.

I'd put Charles Johnson and Jonathan Stewart in that category.

Again - not defending the specific gettleman decisions, but I like the *idea* that we would run it as a business, considering our cap issues.

Hurney whacked john kasay.

9. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

Thanks, That's what I was thinking and you articulated it well. Not saying Gettleman has been perfect at all.

10. Black&Black

Black&Black Try My Product

The problem isn't Gettleman's cutthroat philosophy. The problem is Gettleman the Talent Evaluator. He believed that Roman Harper and Thomas DeCoud would be suitable starters. Same with Melvin White and Cason, and Byron Bell, and Nate Chandler, Amini, and so on. He believed Godfrey could still play. In terms of identifying good players, he doesn't seem to be much better than his predecessor.

The salary cap is no excuse at all. With the money we spent on that pile of crap, we could have fielded a much better roster. Jim Leonhard would have been better than Roman Harper. Donald Penn would have been better than Byron Bell. Drayton Florence would have been better than Antoine Cason (or perhaps could have been a MUCH better safety than DeCoud). We could have drafted competition at offensive tackle instead of blowing another pick on a running back. And while the WR situation turned out better than anyone expected, the fact remains that keeping Smith would have cost less than cutting him and adding a couple of possession WRs. You could have one of the best WR duos in football if your GM wasn't fat idiot trying to prove a point.

Regarding Meatpile's point, I agree 100% that it's better to run a team like a business than a family. For years that's exactly what I wanted. I don't care that Gettleman is an asshole whom everyone in the building hates - a lot of great CEO's have that same quality. But if you're going to search the bargain bin every year, you better know what the fuck you're doing, because signing the worst players in football is damning no matter how much money they're making.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014