1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

How many panthers fans would have been happy...

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by LarryD, Feb 12, 2002.

1. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

if, at the end of last season, just after seifert were canned, it was announced that steve spurrier was going to be the offensive coordinator/head coach and marvin lewis was going to run the defense -- how many fans would have gone loopy with joy?

methinks this city would probably still be in party mode.

of course, with those names comes obvious high expectations. i'd just as soon not have any expectations about this panthers team and enjoy the surprise of a 10-6 season.

2. BigMark

BigMark Guest

If we and the Skins swapped coaching staffs, i'd have been thrilled. I agree about the partying in the streets and the high hopes. Maybe it's sour grapes, but now I feel like we've got the makings of a much stronger foundation. I think (just like with the Skins superstar players a couple years ago) if this new all-star staff doesn't take them to the Super Bowl next year, it will be considered a failure and will ruin what potential they have down the road for at least a few years. We've got a staff and a fan base that I think will be happy with 8-8 this first year, maybe even 6-10 (and here's the kicker) as long as we show improvement every down. I think this staff can provide a truly balanced, powerful team for years to come. Maybe this is where our winning tradition begins, maybe not, but I'm happy for now.

3. slydevl

slydevl Asshole for the People!

WE know Spurrier will be there for a couple of years but how long will Lewis? Not long if you ask me. Our program needs stability not star power.

4. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Don't know that I'd have turned it down, no.
    90% of his staff is still crap, and Spurrier himself is undedicated, but yeah, I'd have been on board with that pairing.

5. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

initially, i would have been, too.

i think the staff/expectations will be the downfall -- if they do fall.

i'll take the guys here. slow and steady might be the way to win this race.

6. VOR

VOR Guest

What do you mean steve spurrier is undedicated?

If you work 80 hours a week 8 months of the year you are not anymore dedicated just that bad a manager. Spurrier does what he has to do to win. He also knows that killing yourself accomplishes nothing but your hastened demise. Shit capers lived under erikson look how great his teams turned out. Spurrier would've stood a better chance of success here than in washington, he need to completely remold that team to do what he wants which means a couple of bad years while they move out the types that don't fit the mold. Here he would've had a clean slate and a bitchin draft opportunity. Anyway the guys we got now have the same opportunity that the stevil had hope they capitalize on it and do something special.