1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Holy Shit

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Fro, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Fro

Fro FFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffff

I just switched from a GeForceFX 5600 to a Radeon 9800 Pro. Jesus, what a difference. I've been a GeForce fan for years, but I think I'm sold on Radeon cards. Unreal.

2. Superfluous_Nut

Superfluous_Nut pastor of muppets

i'm a little disappointed in my 9800 pro. switching from a geforce 3, i thought i'd see a huge preformance increase, but i didn't. really simple stuff doesn't run any faster, tho pixel shaders and the hi detail stuff certainly does. i would expect that even simple things would be faster.... oh well...

3. Reznor

Reznor Sunspots

Simpler things are most likely CPU dependent. Most likely the rendering engine doesn't use all the cards pipelines.

4. Superfluous_Nut

Superfluous_Nut pastor of muppets

nvidia cards tend to do better in throwing lots of polys to the screen, ati does better when those polys have texture/shaders/lights on them. the ati drivers are also optimized for the most optimal way of doing things -- so if the app in question is totally tuned for this, it'll suffer.

i figured since the gf3 is so old, the ati stuff should still be faster for simple stuff, but i guess not... i'll have to see where wireframe enters into the picture. (the app in question is something i'm writing).