1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

High school star makes Sports Illustrated cover

Discussion in 'SportsTalk' started by LarryD, Feb 13, 2002.

1. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

AKRON, Ohio - Basketball phenom LeBron James will receive national attention this week on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

The St. Vincent-St. Mary junior appears with the headline "The Chosen One." He's the first high school basketball player on the magazine's cover since Rick Mount of Indiana in 1966.

The issue hits newsstands Wednesday.

Last year, James, became the first sophomore to win the Ohio Mr. Basketball title.

Nike, Reebok and Adidas already are eager to sign endorsement deals with the 6-7, 225-pound James.

The 17-year-old hasn't decided if he'll play in college or jump directly to the NBA.

2. WYDD

WYDD Guest

yeah, sounds like this kid is gonna be something else. He's definitely a monster for a high school kid.

3. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

Tom McMillen was on the cover after Mount.

It was when he was "the man" and UNC and Maryland were hot on his trail. He actually commited to UNC but his parent's made him switch to Maryland at the last minute.

He was part of the great Maryland teams that battled Thompson at NC State.

That SI would have been early 70's. I got it at home.

As for James - Word was that he liked UNC alot. I know Superscout talked about him some. But it sounds like he is too good to ever put on a college uniform.

Who knows - he may be the first to push the envelope and jump to the NBA after his JUNIOR year. He is supposed to be THAT good.

Speaking of Superscout - he would be a good aports addition over here.

#1- Probably THE MOST level headed and knowledgeable poster I saw last year relative to college hoops - very impressive for a high school kid.

#2 - He is UNC all the way and we need as many of those on here as we can get.

4. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

go grab him!

5. WYDD

WYDD Guest

wossa just says that because i'm a duke fan. He KNOWS i'm the best. MVP of the 2001 college hoops forum season.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Aw you guys all know I'm the most KNOWLEDGEABLE poster, but as far as level-headed that's something else. WYDD you're def. the most sarcastic.

7. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

I'm the best looking

8. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Son of Anarchy

Huh-uh

9. blueblood1

blueblood1 Guest

I doubt Lebron will ever set foot on a college court. I'd love to see him in Carolina blue, and I also know that he and Jawad are friends but it's so unlikely. From everything I'm hearing, he's better than Kobe at the same stage. Who knows!

10. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Son of Anarchy

By the way, since SI is touting this kid, he'll probably break his leg next week. Let's see what the jinx does for him.