1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

hey collin

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Forum' started by Bunky, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Bunky

Bunky .

i hung a bunch of draft picks on the line for chris johnson in a ppr dynasty league. what's your take on this guy?

2. Bunky

Bunky .

and michael turner, too. not much ppr, but 1200/7 you think?

3. Collin

Collin soap and water

From the mag:
    Chris Johnson – 5’11”, 197 – 1st round, 24th overall
    Ability: Johnson is not simply some workout wonder, as he proved by almost single-handedly beating Boise State in the Hawaii Bowl. He showcased his considerable skills as a runner, receiver, and returner in posting an NCAA bowl record 408 all-purpose yards. But while he is a more legitimate prospect than Chris Henry, he was still an odd choice for Tennessee. Johnson is not an every down back, but rather a runner who can contribute on third downs, as a receiver, and on special teams. His 4.24 second time in the 40 tied the fastest mark in combine history, and he flashes that speed with the pads on as well. Johnson is also one of the better receiving backs in this draft, but he doesn’t show much patience as a runner and lacks good instincts.

Situation: Much like McFadden, Johnson enters a crowded backfield with other runners better suited for pounding between the tackles. The Titans do have a dearth of receiving options, however, so it makes sense that they will seek to use Johnson in that role to help out Vince Young and provide another play-making threat.

Present: In leagues that count return yards, Johnson has considerable value, as he should become one of the league’s best return men in addition to serving as a backup and third down running back. With both LenDale White and Chris Henry in the fold, it is unlikely that Johnson will see many opportunities to score touchdowns on the ground, however.

Future: Despite his small frame, Johnson is capable of taking on a greater role in the running game, but it seems likely that Tennessee won’t ask him to do more than serve as a complement to their more physical pounders. That leaves him without a great deal of potential for future value.

Then as far as Turner is concerned, I think your estimations are fair. It seems to me that the Falcons will probably try to rely on the running game, and their linemen are definitely better suited for run blocking than pass blocking. Turner himself is no fluke, but obviously he hasn't proven that he can hold up over a full season. Plus Atlanta's defense doesn't look good, so they won't get to run as much if the team gets behind. 1000-1200 and 6 or 7 touchdowns looks reasonable with the potential for more. I liked Turner back when he was drafted and said in the '04 mag that he was talented enough to start for a team that didn't have LT, and he's looked even better than I expected, so he's definitely for real.