1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Gut a house and refurbish

Discussion in 'Home Improvement & DIY Forum' started by Thelt, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I have heard you can sell old cabins for a lot of money. The base part of the house is an old log cabin. The best I can tell it was built in the 1850s. The logs are hand hewn and over a foot thick. I am not sure but they may be made of chestnut since the house pre-dates the blight. They might be Oak though. In any event they are in very good shape.

One option is to demolish the house and sell the logs either to be reassembled or for use in making furniture. Then I have a nice empty lot to build on and the money from selling the logs. Of course I would incur some expense for demolition and clearing.

You seem to know a little about wood working, any thoughts on this being viable?

2. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

all the time. why?

3. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I have very little experience with it and do not want to screw myself in the process...

4. Village Idiot

Village Idiot cloud of dust

we got the power turned on today. had to close the valve on the water line coming from the well house because the one in the basement doesnt fully close. i dug up the sunken place over the septic tank (with a shovel) and found the cracked lid. its 4x8 with 4 individual lids that are 4x2 each. only one is cracked and it will have to come out. i got it all dug out though so thats behind me now, no big deal. i left around dark. stay tuned.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  5. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

What town is this house in?

6. Village Idiot

just south of mooresville. you aint no inspector or anything like that are you thelt?

7. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

No, I am looking at another house in my area that someone else is fixing up to sell and I thought it might be you.

8. Village Idiot

anybody know where i can get one of these near the mooresville area? its called a screw jack and i only need one. couldnt be found at lowes or home depot.

Attached Files:

9. Village Idiot

ok, not everybody at once here. slow down a little. :smash:

10. Redsnapper

Redsnapper Burp, gargle, spit.

I've SEEN those being used before, if Lowe's or Home Depot tool rental spot ain't got em', look at more locally based tool rental comp. ie. Thomas Rental. Don't know how long you need it for, but it looks temp., if not temp. and if you were south charlotte, I'd suggest Blackhawk Hardware, they gots obscure stuff, or can order it, or there is a place in Matthews, that gets REAL specific, alas, these spots are not in Mooresville. Good luck.

Also, looks like you can modify an exsisting pump/auto jack to fit your needs, but be careful.