1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Giggle City

Discussion in 'SportsTalk' started by gerryv, Dec 14, 2002.

1. gerryv

gerryv Guest

Keep em coming!!!

Hello folks i'm gerry v and welcome back to the show..first times always let us know..spread the wrod and tella friend....

its phone time again

jes the Snoil hits another long ball!!!- right you are my friend!( you're on a roll)..God put owners on tis planet to give us something to talk about in the off-season...also its not the owners job to put familiar faces on the court or field its his job to give us players that make the plays to win us games......that was my argument in charlotte...everyone focused on the owner blah blah for stuff that was taken to the personal level( good tactics by the big wigs)......what happens if you discover something about JOhnson ya don't lie.......look whats happening to Jordan....more will follow one day???..then what........Snoil from the deep corner for THREE!!!!

about the question on Packer...Packer is a showman......unless he's real stupid you don't bark like he is unless you have plan B in your back pocket....." you are as brave as your options"....
    he wants certain things re-writen in his contract......i was told he didn't want me in the building when the idea of me returning to WFNZ was brought up last year or so...true??? I don't know.......some said he also had problems with Czaban........Czaban by the way is gutless....i saw him in Washington DC when i was using one of the studios at WTEM....he became mr friendly man......he used to rip me in charlotte etc....we started a rumor in the building that i was moving to WTEM........he turned a very pale shade of white....

i can see where he would rub Packer the wrong way..so i'll defend Packer on that........Penner and i were supposed to do a show together once.....legal issues prevented that......and Kellogg the PD at the time thought i played him to get more money from WBT...that was so far from the truth.......that would have been a hell of a show....JD "The suit" Stout also thought i played em......which is total bull shit.......they would have made somenice money with the shows they currently have....

to answer why i'm on tis board...as i said earlier iwas asked to come in and give some thoughts and observations and so far the response has been great.......i sold my house in charlotte but still have a condo...i'm coming home to charlotte in Feb to get married.........the future mrs v lives in charlotte and get this she works for the INFINITY group...you guys know i love sports
    and was happy to come on board to yak it up with you...Charlotte will awlays be considered my home and NC my state...i've been in it siince i was 18 years old...i'll answer any question you want!!

back after this.........on THIS BOARD ROCKS!!!!

2. lj4three

lj4three Guest

Snoil- i dont think this team will fail. i think our local leaders got the message from the suits in NY and will realize that our good ole boy network is becoming a nuisance to the city- what charlotte does is it tries to prove people wrong- thats what we'll do.

i for one am psyched that we have the only black majority owner in ALL of pro-sports. this is a great day for charlotte and the NBA!

hey V- what are your thoughts on bob johnson's ability to market (ie BET) this certain market. the demos are drastically different than a BET audience, yet, i think adding some flair to the city will serve us well. this guy has been marketing his whole life- he wont accept failure.

3. Welcome back V! Hope the Big Easy is treating you well (but ENOUGH about George's latest squeeze!).

I think LJ is right - Johnson needs to use the flair. Wish he'd do the "keep that funk alive" thing with the team. Make them as "ABA like" as possible (with the exception of the non-existent crowds). It probably wouldn't fly, but it would be cool.

Yeah, we could get a couple of guys like Louie Dampier and Brian Taylor that could shoot the three, bring Baron back via trade to handle the rock, get a young Artis Gilmore out of college/high school. Grab a Maurice Lucas, Larry Kenon, Dan Issel - and throw in a David Thompson. Loved the ABA...

I'm not excited at the possibility of Isiah Thomas being in the management chain. David Thompson, great - but NOT that whiney little Indiana Hoosier...

:mad:

4. sds70

sds70 'King Kong Ain't Got **** On Me!!!!!'

Repeat from another thread ;) . . . .

=======

So now the new NBA team needs to get everything together . . . . radio & TV deals . . . . Bob Johnson sold his company to who :) ? DOn't they own media outlets here in CLT ? Please don't tell me that little 5k watt sportstalk station might have a shot at becoming the team's flagship station :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ? Didn't Packman say in a newspaper/magazine article a few months that he could never work for the flagship station of a pro team ? I'll bet you the ClearChannel owned outlets here in town won't even have a chance to put in a bid for the radio rights!!!!!!!

Gary/the MSP Crew & Packman (if he stays at WFNZ) better get more excited about Bob Johnson coming on board . . . I'm sure that their is some disappointment about the Belkin/Bird group not winning the franchise, but hey life sucks sometimes (hey, I thought that I was going to be the starting shooting guard for the Philadelphia 76ers . . . Oh well :( . . . . ). WFNZ will finally be a sportstalk outlet with a pro team as part of its lineup (like most of the heavyweights of the industry have them; WFAN, WEEI, KNBR, etc.). They are still going to have to do something about that crappy signal of theirs :mad: . . . . Once again, Infinity should buy WXRC-95.7FM for the cheap and buy their 100k watt blowtorch signal . . .

5. sds70

Hot off the press . . . another vision

Hmmmm, Packer is quoted in ____________ (his RHINO TIMES article, Observer article, I forgot where) that he could never work at a flagship station for a pro team . . . We all know he could care less about the NBA game . . . . . Uh oh, Mr. Johnson now owns the team here . . . Keeps the money in the corporate family by awarding the radio rights to WFNZ (either the current version, one with the 50K watt signal boost**, or they buy another FM station and simulcast their signal on there, like the perinally low rated 95.7 WXRC . . . 'The Ride' . . . ) . . . Assuming Pack stays at WFNZ, guess what he has to start talking about more now :) ? ? ? This could get interesting . . . . . . Could this influence Pack's decision to stay at WFNZ now?

**You think it wouldn't be too hard for Mr. Johnson (BET CEO) to ask Mr. Karmazian (CBS CEO) to finally cough up the cash to give FNZ their long overdue, much needed signal boost would you :) ? ? ?

6. sds70

NEWSFLASH . . . ANother Vision . . . .

Gotta make this quick, time to head off to work . . . . Think about all of the cross promotional opportunites that will take place having the newe NBA team on WFNZ and its other Infinity owned stations . . . . Mark my words now, Bob Johnson will keep the radio rights inside the corporate family (VIACOM/Infinity) . . . . WBT nor the local Clearchannel Stations will not have a chance at bidding for the radio rights!!!!! This is too obvious guys . . . . This would be like the folks who run Phillips Arena in the ATL actually putting out to bid the soft drink contract when the arena was being built (yeah, like Coca-Cola wasn't going to win that contract :D :D :D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

7. gerryv

gerryv Guest

welcome to the late night edition

checked into my hotel in seattle..this 14 day road trip continues......differnet time zones whacking me out..wanted to answer your stuff...oops!!! there go the phones..!!

line 1 ij4three- welcome..yes he has the abilty to market..if ya got the money all you do is hire someone to market all the stuff for you....creative concepts etc and bingo ya get the ball rolling...no problem...

panthers return- you're listening to the gv show on this board rocks!!!...don't think its Isiah.....think along the lines of maybe Quinn Buckner .....doing something for the Pacers front office...maybe add Ed Tapsott.......i'll have more names later..thanks for the call..

sds- i would think that the Infinity group will try to get the games on one fo their stations(FM etc) they have a few to deal with..also keep an eye on the Panther situation..the Fox isn't making any money on the deal........who will be talking about the nba????.hmmmmmmm( grins)

thanks for the calls guys....gotta get some sleep..the tour continues!!!!! you ask and i'll domy best to answer...thats it for tonite ganf allow me to thank my sponsors!!!

The under the bus club!!!! the get it all over yourself shirt company!!!!...the fist fight club......This team ain't goin nowhere bakery....and so many others!!!! from This Board Rocks I say until the new day!! good nite america!!!!!!

8. DA_MAN

DA_MAN Guest

to use a computer term...

I would have seriously MARKED OUT for Penner & the V Man show. That could have been awesome!!!

WBT will not bid for the rights, even if Belkin would have won, because they lost their shirts on the Hornets too.

The Fox may be losing money on the Panthers deal, it's going to the parent company through affiliate sales. It would be in ClearChannel's best interest to keep it in the family, but move it to the 106.5 frequency, which nobody listens to.

WABZ-FM
    100.9 MHz
    Format: southern gospel
    ID: Albemarle NC
    Owner: Susquehanna Radio
    Facilities: 200' 3 hkw A
    24 mile radius coverage area

Transmitter: 35° 21' 41" N 80° 18' 12" W
    app: move to Indian Trail, 328' 6 kw DA A (adds Charlotte coverage)
    33 mile radius coverage area

This would be a cheaper purchase, because Susquehanna Radio will either need to get bigger in a hurry or get out. A 1 station cluster just doesn't cut it in today's broadcast empire.

9. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

Dude do you have ANY idea how many people from the age 15-26 listen to 106.5 the END??? you may want to rethink that...

As far as adding the Albemarle station... hell yeah I'm all for that... maybe could hear a quality game without static over here for a change.

10. gerryv

gerryv Guest

the man is right!!

welcome back to the show...the topic swings to radio rights...the man speaks the truth its not about gettign abigger signal its the FCC and the signal patterns...the man is also correct..the Hornets payed WBT the past few years...early in the deal wbt payed just like they payed the Panthers....but that was a few years ago....now teams pay the stations unless you're in a long term deallike the Lakers and the demand is high...folks lost money on the Panthers........radio stations need to make $$$$$......i would think INFINITY makes a run ro carry thegames...they have a few options they could use...they could also put other programing on WFNZ..like a coaches show or support programing for the team....
    put games on an FM like WSSS or any of the other signals.....WFNZ can still do the NBA talk stuff.....( who??)
    keep in mind there are some stations with music formats that are making money on their evening music shows.......it will probably be an FM that won't lose any $$$$ by having sports....unless you're getting a nice fee to carry the games.........WBT has the signal and could give the news and talk support if they decide to have sports as a major player in their format again....

next call!!!!! but first let me tell you about a new product that hitting the market...Uncle V's Salad dressing..its a salad dressing and a sun screener all into one great product!! ask fo rit by name...Uncle V's Double Dippin Dressing!!! avaiilable where all fine products are sold!!!!

and for the holidays show you you love her with some GerryV's
    sleep wear....women love the footy pj's with the big V on the front...adjustable flaps allow her the freedom she wants...available with your favorite team logo and colors....
    and for the man..uncle V's LOVE DOGGY PJ's......

more show coming up!!