1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Gastric Bypass

Discussion in 'Health & Medicine Forum' started by The Warden, Oct 5, 2008.

1. The Warden

The Warden Full Access Member

I've been pre-approved for this procedure and take the qualifying seminar in a few weeks. Is there anyone out there that has went through this that could give me some tips on how to prepare for the surgery & aftercare following the surgery?

This is, by far, the biggest thing I've gone through and frankly, Im scared to death. Any input that is helpful, is very welcomed. If it's a joke, please dont post. Im tired of being big and want to live a much healthier life.

2. jazzbluescat

jazzbluescat superstar...yo.

I went to a seminar, then opted out of the surgery because I'd have to give up alcohol and smoking (herb) and radically change my eating habits and the types of foods I intake. Since all my vital signs are excellent and I'm a borderline weight case , I chose to carry the additional weight rather than risk any complications, albeit most bypass surgery is very safe.
    good luck

3. 49erpi

49erpi Full Access Member

I don't understand why you would want to risk your life with this procedure when there is a simple and clear alternative to losing weight and being healthy. Stop eating and exercise. It seems the "easy" way out for people that lack discipline.

4. 49erpi

49erpi Full Access Member

Why wouldn't you just radically change your eating habits and lose the weight the natural, safe and free way?

5. jazzbluescat

jazzbluescat superstar...yo.

I won't give up my herb nor an occasional snort of scotch, or an apple jelly sandwich. The way they put it is you've got to go teetotaler and I couldn't commit.

6. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I actually considered getting a lap band, which I think is better than a gastric bypass, but I ended up not doing it. I am glad I did not now. I went to a doctor who helps people lose weight. He put me on HGC shots and phenterimine and I have gone from 250 to 212 in about three months. I still have a way to go but I feel much better and my labs are much better.

I am not going to say something like these other guys like just eat less because I have been there and know it is not that easy. I will say though if I were you I would exhaust every other possible means of losing weight before I had the gastric bypass. I would also look at the lap band prettty hard, it is less invasive.

7. The Warden

Ok...Here's the deal with me. Before you stick your foot in your mouth and spew out a bunch of shit about me lacking discipline, you might want to know some things about me. You dont know me and my body...so here's some stuff to put in your joint and smoke it.

Im 28 years old, 5'11", 330 lbs. I have high blood pressure (hovering around 190/100), a very high propensity for diabetes on both sides of my family (although my sugar levels are normal), and I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea and have been treating it with a BiPap machine for the last 10 years. My BMI (Body Mass Index) is a 46, which qualifies me for the procedure.

About 2 years ago, I joined a YMCA and lost 49 lbs through diet and exercise. I hit a plateau at 295 lbs and for 10 weeks, I dieted and exercised so much and nothing happened. But in the process I developed really painful bone spurs that I still have today. Coupled with some stress issues with my job as a Correctional Officer, the weight came back. Even while on the diet I didnt eat properly and my nutritional habits were completely out of whack. Im looking at this procedure as a complete lifestyle change, not as a quick way out.

When it comes to my job, I am quite disciplined in that my appearance is top notch, my duties are performed to the best of my abilities, and my way of life is the same. So your ideas of me lacking discipline is complete bullshit.

And for those that need it, discipline has nothing to do with it. Sometimes diet and exercise alone doesnt help. I know many people that have dieted for a long time and the results are minimal. However, when gastric bypass is added to the diet and exercise regime, the results are more fruitful.

Im looking for advice on how to prepare for surgery and for the aftercare, not rhetorical bullshit coming from the peanut gallery. Contribute, not criticize. And if you cant contribute, dont say a damn word.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  8. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I feel for you man. I have been overweight most of my life and it is not easy to lose weight. If I really felt like there was no hope except for the gastric bypass I would go for it. I would also make sure I had tried everything else first though.

Hasbeens, another poster on here, lost something close to what you probably need to lose. He had some help from a doctor along with diet and exercise. There are things doctors can do for you besides operating.

If you are sure you are ready for surgery check out the lap band. They only put a belt around your stomach to make it smaller rather than remove a portion of it. Recovery time is much quicker and it is less risky.

http://www.lapband.com/

9. The Warden

Im not going with the lap band....Im going with RNY gastric bypass, a laproscopic procedure thats not as risky as the Mini-Gastric Bypass.

And yes, ive went though just about everything to lose the weight.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  10. voyergirl

voyergirl y'all suck

damn.

i wish you luck, warden.