1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Firing Henning

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by meatpile, Nov 26, 2007.

1. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Since we're groaning about off season decisions, I'm thinking dumping Henning was the worst.

Henning crafted a gameplan, and won, passing the ball 7 times with 4 completions.

It was ugly, but it was a win. It worked. It shows Fox trusted him to go with that plan.

They have not improved.

2. metro

metro Charlotte49erfootballfan

NE and Dallas are proving that if you want to win in the NFL today, you gotta have a passing attack. Not my opinion, but what the experts keep saying.

Is the 1982 Redskins offense really what will work today?

3. kshead

kshead What's the spread?

It certainly hasn't worked for the 2007 Redskins.

4. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Davidson looks like a bust, despite the running game, but that doesn't mean keeping Henning was the right solution. I could've lived with him, but the O wasn't what it should've been in year 4 and 5, in a manner that declined the further we got in. I thought it was worth taking a stab at another conservative guy with fresh ideals, with actual audibles, the TE, and so on.

I think the residual issues might not have worked out, either. Wasn't smart, IMO, to just promote the guys we did. I like them as coaches, but we diluted the pool. A new line coach might've gotten more results. We weren't going to get rid of McCoy, but as passing game coordinator, he's getting remarkably little play in all this for blame.

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Balance is pretty key. I think the key is not to over-react when making the future decisions of this team - for instance, going pass-happy because of Fox's conservativeness. Or hiring an ultra-conservative coach because we got dumpoff-happy in 2001.

Either way, whether it's the 3-4, or the 46, or the one gap 4-3, the WCO, Henning's offense, or what we have now, any scheme will work. I don't think scheme is the issue, maybe the attack could be run a little differently and I believe a big part right now is talent and execution. But the approach isn't bad. Just as Henning's wasn't.

6. reb

reb 1riot1reb

The defense is not Henning or any other coach. How many points have we given up this year. Fuck that shit. The defense used to keep the scoring down so we had a chance. We used to win games on a field goal. Might as well not even have a field goal kicker now.

7. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

Yeah, but when they're on the field all game it doesn't matter how much you give up.

Not real confident in 3rd down situations though.

8. 49erpi

49erpi Full Access Member

Unless you are going to find a Brady, Romo or Manning somewhere, you better be able to run the ball.

9. UNCdubya

UNCdubya Full Access Member

or Andersen or Garcia or Schaub or Garrard, and i'm sure i'm leaving a few off

10. 49erpi

49erpi Full Access Member

You're stretching that list just a little.