1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Euro 2008

Discussion in 'SportsTalk' started by vpkozel, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Collin

Collin soap and water

I generally pull for Germany since I'm of German ancestry, but I was kind of bummed that they made it through to the final precisely because they are so deliberate. Even as badly as France played in the group stage, it was still a joy to watch Ribery dominate DMFs. Germany doesn't have anyone like that and I can't remember the last time that they did. There is little individual brilliance in their play, just sound tactics and brute strength. Even Ballack is wildly overrated. And while Gomez is a striker, the fact that he played at all shows that Germany is lacking somewhat in playmakers. The Germans were living on history and reputation as much as anything. Spain vs. Portugal would have been a much more entertaining final.

2. goodoleburkeco

goodoleburkeco Player Hater

Lehmann sucks, I called it. No way he should've came out to the top of his box when Torres had a defender right on his hip....STUPIDITY!

Spain was the better side, I'm glad to see the better side win for a change.

3. Collin

Collin soap and water

I disagree. Lehmann had some shaky moments, but I think he made the right move there. Torres beat Lahm to the ball, so Lehmann's best bet was to close down the angle, it was just a great touch by one of the world's premier strikers. And I didn't think that Spain wouldn't score 3 on Germany. They had chances, but it's damn hard to finish against a disciplined defense. I can't remember the last time Germany gave up three goals in one match.

4. CharSFNiners

CharSFNiners Full Access Member

I agree, I didn't think Lehmann was horrible. As someone who played sweeper and goal in HS, a goalie is only as good as his defense in front of him. I only caught from the 50 min mark on b/c I had errands but there was a header he reacted quickly to block and then caught a rocket to his chest. Spain easily could have scored atleast 1 more goal.

Germany's D looked gassed for the majority of what I watched (last 40 mins).

5. goodoleburkeco

Lehmann made a critical mistake, any keeper should know not to come all the way out to the top of the box when a defender is within a step of the attacking player. If it is a clear breakaway, then yeah he comes out to cut down the angle. He didnt' need to come out and commit himself like that. The shot that beat him wasn't even a very good shot. Torres was invisible the entire tournament and he gets a gimmie after a boneheaded decision by Lehmann. There is a reason Lehmann sat the bench at Arsenal, he's washed up.

That wasn't necessary and he did it TWO more times and almost got beat again. I enjoyed watching him play the ball with his feet a few times, he's dreadful. He about gave up the cheapest 2nd goal in stoppage time after a German defender was dumb enough to pass it back to his feet.

6. Collin

Collin soap and water

If the attacking player is in possession, but they were converging on the ball. In that instance you absolutely come out and try to get to the ball.
    Whether or not Lehmann should have come out might be debatable, but this is just a strange thing to say. Not a single analyst or columnist described that goal as anything like a gimmie, probably because it wasn't. As noted, Torres had Lahm on his hip and Lehmann crashing down on him. He was running full speed and had to one-touch loft it over Lehmann's dive back to his left. He had only one angle to make the shot because of where Lehmann's hands were, and he made it. It was a very impressive display. I think you're just saying that to justify your criticism of Lehmann.

7. goodoleburkeco

Lehmann made a poor choice and it wasn't that great of a finish, it didn't have to be. HE only had to lift it over his back half because stupid Lehmann didnt' go down with his hands right at his feet, he instead tried to guess that Torres would push the ball or shoot it to his right.

I wouldn't expect any of the ESPN analysts or commentators to say anything worth a damn because everyone in the soccerworld can't stand them. Julie Foudy? Come on....and everyone knows Tommy Smyth is an Irish idiot.

There is a big stink across the country because these commentators and analysts are THAT BAD. Look at the threads started after every major tournament (Euro, Champions League, World Cup) because the soccer fans can't stand them! Check out BIG Soccer for some great soccer discussions from fans who don't agree with those idiots.

8. Collin

Collin soap and water

Actually from what I've seen, people have largely been praising the Euro coverage, certainly much moreso than ESPN's coverage of prior soccer tournaments. And I just disagree with you both about Lehmann's challenge and the quality of Torres' finish. Lehmann did go down with his arms toward the feet, which is why Torres had to lift the ball back to the left in order to get it past him.

9. goodoleburkeco

Coverage was good but Commentary was dreadful.

10. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

Because it specifically said that Blatter lost in his bid to have the rule say that all tackles from behind were red cards and that the head of FIFA referees led the charge to have the phrase about only in dangerous situations inserted. You know, the phrase you say doesn't matter.