1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Does anybody else think our picks SUCK so far?

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by SilverSurfer, Apr 21, 2002.

1. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Son of Anarchy

I don't know as much about football as a lot of people here, so tell me if I'm wrong. Out of all the guys we've picked so far (Kyle Johnson being the last one we picked at his point) 4 of the 6 - Foster, Witherspoon, Fasani, and Johnson - have had significant injury problems. None of the writeups I read were too damn thrilling other than Peppers, who I think COULD be a great player, but does he really want to be here? I hope so. Wesley may be a decent player but there's nothing really to base it on.

I'm also worried about Foster being a fumbler. The last thing we need is another TimmyB. :rolleyes: And another 5 or 6 guys who will stay injured the whole season.

:feedback:

2. blueblood1

blueblood1 Guest

I agree with you for the most part, Silver. I do think Peppers and Foster will be good players. It appears that Foster's fumble problems have to do with the way he carries the ball high and away from his body - that's correctible. I'm not to happy about the rest of this draft though. I have resigned myself to the fact that i believe we will always SUCK! I'll root 'em on anyway but we are not good.

3. T_Schroll

T_Schroll Full Access Member

Are you refering to Operation Clusterfuck Silver?

Peppers was a given, so I'll grant them that one. To me it went down hill fast afterward. Foster seems a pick they were pressured into to me. Speed and moves are rendered mute points when he can't hold on to the ball. We'll hear all about them being able to correct the problem and the result will be the same as it was with TB. He'll drop the rock and have his ass on the pine once the staff loses confidence in him

Let's look at what they left on the board:

Round 2
    ----------
    Kalimba Edwards LB South Carolina
    Josh Reed WR LSU
    Larry Tripplett DT Washington
    Clinton Portis RB Miami

Round 3
    ----------
    before the trade down
    Saleem Rasheed LB Alabama
    Roosevelt Williams CB Tuskegee
    after the trade own
    Derek Ross CB Ohio State*
    Joseph Jefferson CB Western Kentucky
    Rashad Bauman CB Oregon
    Lamar Gordon RB North Dakota State

Round 4
    ----------
    Alex Brown DE Florida
    David Thorton LB UNC
    Mike Echols CB Wisconsin
    Tony Beckham CB Wisconsin-Stout

Round 5
    ----------
    after our first pick/before the second pick
    Justin Bannon DT Colorado
    Andra Davis MLB Florida
    Scott Fujita OLB California
    after the second pick
    Kenyon Coleman DE UCLA
    Terry Jones Jr TE Alabama
    Freddie Milons WR Alabama
    Andre Lott CB Tennessee

Round 6
    ----------
    Chris Cash CB USC
    Kevin Thomas CB UNLV
    Kahlil Hill Wr Iowa
    Josh Scoby RB Kansas State

Round 7
    ----------
    Luke Staley RB BYU
    Joaquin Gonzalez T Miami

*With his off field problems Ross was an untouchable for us, put him in the list for talent evaluation only.

Craver sat there through 3 rounds at CB. Stackhouse was still out there at FB through round 6. This shit really pisses me off.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2002
  4. mramailman

mramailman Guest

I hate we left Triplett in 2. I felt he could develop this year and start next year with Jenkins.

We reached for Witherspoon... reached way too far IMO. We could have waited.

I won't pass judement on Wesley yet. Small school CB with size and speed. I just read more on him and with some coaching could be a good pick

Fasani wasn't a need I saw that needed to be addressed this year especially with the guys we left out there.

Johnson was a need and we filled it. I just read up on him and he could be something.

Heinrich was rated higher than what we picked him at from what I've read so we didn't reach and we got more depth.

Campion can anyone say Leander Jordan? We needed to address O-line depth sooner than 7th IMO.

5. p2k1f

p2k1f Guest

no, and i certainly hope it doesn't turn out that way.

6. Piper

Piper Guest

I think the third round was very delibrate. The whole draft was, in hindsight.

We were like a laser beam on Peppers and Foster. Maybe if Rumph falls, we take him, but that wasn't likely. We spent a lot of time with him apparently, and got sold that the fumbling will be corrected. If it is, this will be a good pick. We'll see.

Round 3 was all about picking up an extra 5th rounder. Hurney said that he wanted and extra 4th or 5th, and we got one. I don't think we loved anybody here, didn't see any real can't mis stars. A lot of similar guys, guys with questions and role players. The guy we got here was of less significance.

Id' have taken Jefferson, a guy everyone is raving about in Indy. Still, we got a weakside player who has the measurables to be a starter if we can do a better job at the POA. Morgan is the same way, DT is the big need next year. This is a 1 round reach though.

4th round, again, went with a small school prospect with upside potential. He's got all the size, runs a 4.4 40, and most imporatantly, he's Fox's guy. I think this is the pick that can really make this draft. A lot of people think we reached, but this guy looks like a Fox corner. I liked Echols, but he's small, not a big press corner, and that's what Fox wants to run. There was only 4 really, Jammer, Rumph, Jeffeson, and Wesley.

I wanted a developmental QB and a FB out of this draft. Got them. Maybe not my choices, but good enough.

Heinrich, Campion, and Franklin sound like camp fodder to me. Maybe Heinrich can make something there, I keep waiting for a TE to step up.

In the end, I give this draft a C. There's a lot of potential in the first 5 rounds, maybe 6 counting Heinrich. But no solid picks IMO. Each guy has a big ? hanging over his head. Each has strong measurables, athletic ability above the round they were taken. But not neccearrily production.

For those of you who wanted solid football players now, you didn't get it. But given time, these guys could work out. But it's a lot of risk, and Fox apparently thinks he can mold raw athletes into to notch players.

So did Seifert. See where that got him.

7. T_Schroll

Going in I thought RB could wait a year. We have some depth there. Foster, I hope proves me wrong about his fumblitis. I would have had to jump all over Edwards though. Given Navies injury history and that he will be UFA next year, the pick would have been worth it.

If they decided they couldn't pass on Foster fine. Stay put in 3 and take Saleem at LB if you want to ignore CB another round as they did. Here I would have went after Jefferson or Williams though. Takeing Edwards the previous round still left you with the option of Gordon here also.

Round 4 gave us all kind of options at CB and even Thornton at LB,

Round 5, QB was a wasted pick IMHO. If Weinke doesn't work out we'll just draft another next year. Too many other holes to have to take a QB here. Bannon or Coleman here for depth would have been a better deal for the team. Even grabbing Lott would have been better.

Round six, as much as we need to improve at quality depth at TE, we could have taken a flyer on Cash who's coming off injury but was a decent enough CB before being hurt or Maybe even Thomas.

Round 7, Staley could have been a steal if he could stay healthy we should have grabbed him. Gonzalez I would have liked for depth at tackle. We still could have had Stratton or Hart at TE also.

Our draft had more reach after the second round than I've ever seen, well except for the Bengals.

8. mramailman

mramailman Guest

I completely agree on Gonzalez late but I thought we needed to draft a little higher for OT.
    Stuessie isn't getting younger and Terry hasn't shown much of developing into a high level RT.. adequate yes but not dominate.

Piper you nailed it with potential and I hate seeing that when it comes to every rd this yr.

9. Piper

Piper Guest

>>I would have had to jump all over Edwards though.

Think he can play 4-3 linebacker though? I dunno, I've never seen him in coverage. That's why I would not have made that pick. Maybe Pearson, maybe Portis to be safe. Foster is a better back IF he can cure fumblitis.

Again, I have serious doubts if Edwards can play in a 4-3 scheme. Boulware was effective, but a lot of guys aren't. Kevin Greene, though he got his sacks, looked lost that year in coverage.

>>If they decided they couldn't pass on Foster fine. Stay put in 3 and take Saleem at LB if you want to ignore CB another round as they did. Here I would have went after Jefferson or Williams though.

I like Jefferson a lot, but I never understood the Williams hype. Bygones. It's clear to me that we went into the third with the clear goal of getting a 5th. Obviously we were enamored with no one. I like Rasheed though, but I think we thought either he or Leber would be there a few slots lower. Whoops. I was mad that we passed on Jefferson. Bygones.

>>Round 4 gave us all kind of options at CB and even Thornton at LB

The more I hear about Wesley, the more I like him. Sounds just like Jefferson, just a round later. And he obvoiusly sold Fox. Notice the QA was up on him rather quickly on panthers.com? He was on Fox's mind at 3. Still, I got to wonder what Jefferson and Witherspoon in 4 would have been like. Thornton's similar player and we could have had him as you mentioned, though Witherspoon is stronger.

>>Round 5, QB was a wasted pick IMHO.

Wanted a tackle myself here, but I did want a QB to develop at 6 or 7. I like taking low round guys and trying to develop them. He could be a backup at least, we really don't have one. Got to like his arm and athletic skill. Not at all acurate though.

>>Round six, as much as we need to improve at quality depth at TE, we could have taken a flyer on Cash who's coming off injury but was a decent enough CB before being hurt or Maybe even Thomas.

>>Round 7, Staley could have been a steal if he could stay healthy we should have grabbed him. Gonzalez I would have liked for depth at tackle. We still could have had Stratton or Hart at TE also.

Staley will be hard pressed to be healthy by camp. Gonzalez was my guy at 7 too. That guard sounds just awful. Camp fodder. I wanted a tackle.

To me, these picks were all gambles. I'm warming to Wesley, and if he works out, he could make this draft look a lot better. I'm not all that pumped about Witherspoon, he had a decent 2000 and all behind a killer line, but he's hard pressed to stay healthy. I personally can't belive Rasheed lasted until 3.

Johnson is the closest thing to a solid, safe pick. Everything else is all potential, big upside, but it could bite us in the ass.

10. T_Schroll

Edwards did fairly well in coverage at SC. No worse than any one we have. He has the strength to shed blockers against the run also. Good in pursuit. Hell if nothing else he could bulk up a little and move back to DE if Rucker leaves and be effective.

Staley in the 7th would well be worth the gamble, How many 7th rounders make the roster anyway. Taking Campion ove Gonzalez made no damn sense.