1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Do we use Harrington for leverage?

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by T_Schroll, Feb 16, 2002.

1. T_Schroll

T_Schroll Full Access Member

Saw an article on the Redzone.com about the Lions being interested in drafting the Oregon QB. They draft at number 3 directly behind us. The Bills are also interested in getting him along with a few others. Do we use our pick as leverage to address our many needs to gain players and/or picks? I say yes, but don't drop out of the top 10 picks in doing so.

2. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

i dont think the panthers need to talk about them taking harrington, but i expect them to entertain offers from teams looking to move up. harrington is about the only guy that anyone would want to move up for.

3. T_Schroll

I'd like to see us come out of this with Corey Dillon, the Bengals pick at 10 and a second or third rounder. That would make the new offense better overnight. Seeing as our only signed starter at LB, Morgan, has been moved inside we'd be in the market for an OLB. At 10 I'd take Kalimba Edwards from South Carolina. Sounds like a win-win to me.

4. Piper

Piper Guest

I don't see Detroit staying still. I see them either moving up to get Peppers, whom I've heard they really like, or down for picks.

QBs are a different beast, so if Carr goes #1, I can possibly see Harrington move into the top 5. But its far from a given. Buffalo really needs a tackle, and if McKinnie is there at #4 they'd be foolish to pass. They also need a DT fairly badly. If Harrington gets by them, you'll see him take a drop.

5. T_Schroll

Damn near every one wants Peppers at this point. If he were the final piece of the puzzle I could see us hanging on at second pick and grabbing him. The problem is that he's not. The article I was reffering to is from the Detroit Free Press.

The present scenario in Detroit is has Batch being cut in June leaving them with only McMahon and Detmer(ugh) so it's pausable that they go for Harrington.

We have to walk away from any trade for our pick with at least a starter and multiple picks early in this years draft. The problem will be the cap (as always with us). Cincinnati is stuck with Kitna and Smith so I could see them after Harrington. Others I could see maybe interested in a trade would be Jacksonville (if they trade or cut Brunnell), Washington(if they can't make a deal for Brunnell or Bledsoe) and Kansas City(Trent Green ain't the answer).

6. Piper

Piper Guest

Cincinatti is a thought, Smith is gone, and you wonder how much leeway Kitna has. They like Buchanon a lot though, and need a corner.

Detriot could easily stick with McMahon. He lead them to two victories, and played decently for a rookie. Washington will in all likelyhood trade up, but it may be to take Gaffney.

7. T_Schroll

Cincinnati is more than likely our target if we are indeed shopping the pick. Dillon and three picks in the top 42 seems to be the way to go. We should be able to fill four holes on the roster with quality guys that way.

8. chuckrichey

chuckrichey they're back!

moving morgan to the inside makes me think peppers is our pick,and fox will move him to outside linebacker,better speed than morgan and more power for rushing the qb.;)

9. McFly41

McFly41 Guest

I can't see the Bungles giving up Dillon & their 1st rounder. They don't have anything else at RB that is of starter quality.
    I do agree that we should entertain the idea of trading down though.