1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Deshaun Watson traded to Panthers

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Black&Black, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Coach Micool

Coach Micool Let's Go Brandon!

OK, I'll take your word for it. He's wowed me at times and hasn't others. He's def an upgrade.

2. rake

rake Need one of these

I wish i could share your optimism. I used to try to be more “pie in the sky” but reality of the past has set in.
    I don’t see Watson as top 5 and I don’t see ANYONE really that would be realistically available as being enough of an upgrade at QB to make the panthers a winning team. Defense, and O-line need significant upgrades first.
    If current brain-trust sells out for Watson, or any other possible QB scenario it would be a mistake IMO. Cam was a winner (despite flaws) and O-line and D were both made low priorities . .. When supercam peaked and the D was pretty damn good they lost a SB that year. With Watson and what would be given up to get him how long would it take to possibly built back to a 24-10 loss in the SB? I thought folks here were onboard with the “Win now” thing.

3. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

Well, as I've said earlier I'm not a real fan of this. I want players to play, not try and be assistant GMs, so this whole situation rubs me the wrong way. With that said, consider this. Watson's receivers were Brandin Cooks, Will Fuller and Randall Cobb. His running backs were David Johnson and Duke Johnson. Cooks is good, although he can't seem to stick with a team for more than a couple of seasons. None of the other guys would crack our starting lineup.

Watson ran for 444 yards on 90 attempts, picking up a few TDs but mainly running just often enough to force defenses to account for him. While doing that, he threw for 4,800 yards and 33 TDs against only 7 interceptions. His YPA was an absurd 8.9. He's been in the league for four years and already has 10 game winning drives. If there's a downside, he fumbled eight times last year.

I think if you put him on the Panthers and Brady hangs around, we're going to be a top 10 offense almost immediately. Watson will have better weapons than he ever has before, and he'll be in a division where the Panthers are on the rise and everyone else is aging out. We've got to look like a good destination for a young quarterback.

I would still prefer to get Wilson in the draft, but this wouldn't suck at all.

4. presidence99

presidence99 es lo que hay.

If Watson is worth just one td a game more than teddy/walker the panthers are 10-5-1 this year. Clearly not enough of an upgrade.

Coach Micool likes this.
  5. Black&Black

Black&Black Try My Product

6. rake

rake Need one of these

If would’ves and should’ves and could’ves and buts were candies and nuts what a wonderful fucking Christmas this would’ve been

Yes no one can argue with facts like “with a different QB you are guaranteed at least 7 more points a game. .. cause that bears the burden of truth and all

7. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

The facts are that he's worth 28 extra points a game actually. We would have gone undefeated and would be capping our perfect season with an all but guaranteed win on the 7th. Also CMC wouldn't have gotten hurt and Little would be looking like the future. Watson is THAT good.

Just 7 more points a game. Sheesh...

8. dig-it

dig-it Wait'n On That Post Rookie Deal

If just some of those last Bridgewater drives have produced...
    This fantasy of getting Watson wouldn't have any steam at all, but Bridgewater failed time after time.

9. rake

rake Need one of these

Nonsense. THIS SEASON can’t be played over again by switching QBs. There would be HUGE sacrifices to gain Watson. Other areas from this past season could more likely be WEAKER and therefore you can’t logically and magically claim weekly point gains. .. not to mention the crazy ass cap situation which would more deeply cripple the ability to upgrade all the panthers weak and thin spots.
    Examples -
    Peyton Manning replaced some dude named Brock Osweiler and because the broncos were ALREADY a talented/deep well coached team they won a SB. Replace Winston with Brady at tampa AND add to an already loaded roster and look where they are. The colts plugged in Rivers and they improved but once again, they were already pretty fucking stout. The chargers are probably at least a couple of W’s more talented than the panthers even without adding Herbert (plus Turner). Yes maybe by next season they are a playoff team, but they “drafted” their QB. ..
    NONE of the above were crappy rebuilding newbie-lead teams desperately traded for a Messiah QB to miraculously heal all the illness on the team. Looking back at that Cutler trade . .. how did that work out for the shitty Bears for instance? Gee wouldn’t it be great to just draft a Herbert at 10 overall this Spring?! Well who is seeing that right now? Lawrence is the single QB lock and there may or may not be a Herbert at 10 but aren’t there more pressing needs on the roster given the situation. .. or does that make no sense? When you are rebuilding you can’t afford the luxury to trade away priceless picks for some myopic perception of “7 pts per game” immediate cure for losing. Every other team with a more talented defense than the panthers will beat the panthers. .. it won’t matter if Watson is here or not. Now if he landed harmlessly in carolina’s lap like a Brady or Manning or Rivers then WoooHooo! But that’s not the deal. some of ya’ll need to wake up!

brandonray99 likes this.
  10. Schwantz34

Schwantz34 Full Access Member

He's been doing a great job there given what he's had.

I don't see that it's affected his performances. He's every right to speak out too, the Texans are a real mess and do a lot of highly questionable things.