1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Computer purchase

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by HPCatFan, Oct 11, 2005.

1. HPCatFan

HPCatFan Senior Member

mmmkay. My computer is old (ca 2000) and runs Win 98. To keep this short, it sucks and is getting suckier by the day. After things settle down for me, hopefully soon, I'm going to need a new one. I need to keep it cheap. I was thinking Dell (which is what I have now) and compared to what I paid for the one I have, the new ones are insanely cheap.

Besides Dell, anhyone have any suggestions? I'll be needing to use a credit card, so going the route of "this guy I know in IT can build you one for xxx" isn't going to cut it. TIA.

Oops, finally, I'll be using it for the internet mostly, kids use it for research and online games (Neopets, Barbie, Pollypocket stuff), I use it for email, surfing, (and I'm gonna want some video capability if you know what I mean) and also to connect to my company while out of the office. I imagine that if I get a new one then I can get some games to play, its been awhile.

2. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

Dell. Yes.

3. builder

builder membered member

Never had a problem with Dell Desktops. And if you keep an eye out, you can get one at a great discount or with upgrades like 17" flat screens, etc.

4. jazzbluescat

jazzbluescat superstar...yo.

I've used a Dell 4600C for two years. It overheats occasionally but, aside from that, I've replaced the battery and that's it. And I like it's sleek cabinet.[I'm looking at a MacMini w/souped-up ROM, because I don't play games, for my next desktop.]

5. HPCatFan

HPCatFan Senior Member

what does it do when it overheats?

6. jazzbluescat

jazzbluescat superstar...yo.

Usually, but not always, the fan revs like crazy, the screen/site/desktop, whatever, freezes and distorts, breaking up into jigsaw puzzle-looking pieces.

I turn it off, wait a few minutes and reboot. Sometimes I blow it out with canned air.

7. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

That was a big thing with those 4600's that Dell didn't seem to want to cooperate on. Very disappointing.

8. builder

builder membered member

you think that's bad, do a google search on the SmartStep 250N. Crock of shit I say.

9. rotocub

rotocub like cool....only dorkier

Looks like pretty good deals here (found at Techbargains.com)...

<LI>Dell Dimension 9100 Dual Core Desktop 19in LCD $679 shipped free - P4 3Ghz 17in LCD $499 - October 7, 2005
    Finally some decent desktop deals with upto $560 off.
    Dell Small Business has the high end Dimension 9100 Desktop Pentium D 820 2.8Ghz Dual Core CPU 512MB DDR2/160GB Serial ATA, CD, dell 19in E193FP LCD Monitor, 128MB ATI X300 PCI Express Video card, 7.1 Audio, Modem, 1yr warranty, XP Media Center = $679 after $100 rebate. Free shipping, $24 handling. Tax is charged. Exp Wed 10/12 11pm CT or earlier.

Start here - Select Middle Config.

Additional 2% discount for checking out using dell QuickLoan. Select Credit card as payment to see this offer.

9100 with 24in 2405FPW digital LCD costs $1199. The screen alone costs over $900.

Dimension 5150 P4 3Ghz Desktop 17in LCD $499 shipped free Lesser Needs:
    Dimension 5150 Desktop P4 630 3hz 256MB/80GB Serial ATA, CD, 17in e173FP LCD, standard warranty $499 after rebate. shipped free. $24 handling.
    $100 rebate Exp 10/12/05 [​IMG]