1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Color Nook

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by jge1968, Dec 18, 2010.

1. jge1968

jge1968 Full Access Member

Is cool.

:weihnacht2:

2. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

more info please

just about ready to get one

3. jge1968

Good little device, simple to use.

Runs on Android OS.

Easy to check books out of the NC Digital Library and transfer to device once everything is set up on your computer. This takes about 5-10 miinutes to do.

Battery life is fine, supposedly 8 hours or so but that's fine with me. Not going to be using it for that long at any given period.

It has Wi-Fi only but that is fine with me. If I want to use the Internet I'll do it at home or a hot spot. No biggie.

The browser works well, in fact, I am using it now to post this.

The keyboard works well and is responsive. I have not had much trouble with the keys, striking the wrong ones. I was a little worried because I am a pretty big guy but no problems.

If you have more specific questions let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

4. cmmguy

cmmguy *

Thanks for your review... I am looking at that vs the Kindle. Did you consider the Kindle before buying the Nook and if so, what made you get the Nook instead?

5. jge1968

More functionality. Yes, I considered the Kindle and almost got one but they were out at the place I stopped to get one. At that point I went back and conducted a bit more research and decided on the Color Nook.

The big/main reason was that it supports the same format(s) that public libraries use, where the Kindle does not. So if you have a library card and they have access to a digital library such as the North Carolina Digital Library (NCDL) http://ncdigital.lib.overdrive.com/91CF61E3-4418-4CB9-8E0A-84B27EC57F6F/10/358/en/Default.htm you can download to your computer and then transfer to your device. It is not comprehensive but it has quite a few books that I will check out and read and/or listen to on audio. It also beats having to buy every book I want to read at $10+ a pop.

Also, it runs on the Android OS and it is going to have access to some if not all of the Android apps in a month or so supposedly.

With the color instead of black and white there is more of a natural feel to magazines and newspapers that use color like the USA Today. You can get a 2 week trial on the newspapers, the magazines seem kind of expensive though.

6. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

Got the wife the Kindle. Mainly because of the book print it has. If I were buying for me though I'd be more likely to go with the Nook. Sadly enough I read more magazines than I do anything with book print.

7. cmmguy

cmmguy *

Thanks for the feed back.

I decided on the Kindle tonight and bought one. I was concerned about the library option but found that there are several converters that will put the books into a format that can be used on the Kindle so that was a non-issue.

I really like the black and white non lighted screen. THe Kindle lasts up to 3 weeks on a charge and the Nook only 8 hours... that was a big one for me.

8. jge1968

Cool. I almost got one myself and I understand the charge thing.

I found a few converters and Calibre seems to be a good one and overall decent jumping off point for conversion and loading to whatever device you have.

9. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Son of Anarchy

[​IMG]

10. mahesw

mahesw Junior Member

hi thanks for your information i am new here