1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Chris Weinke, his shoulder & surgery

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Panthrs, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Panthrs

Panthrs Guest

According to the print version of this morning's Rock Hill Herald (good old Darin Gantt!!!) Weinke reaggravated his shoulder injury from last season during minicamp. And could be facing shoulder surgery soon.

He wrote that even though Weinke wouldn't confirm that the surgery was already scheduled, sources close to the situation said that it would be a near certainty that it would be performed in the next few weeks. The surgery in question is described as a minor arthroscopic procedure and nothing that would keep him from training camp or the regular season.

The original injury occurred when Dolphins DE Lorenzo Bromell drove his shoulder into the ground. He was fined $12,500 for the hit. He was also fined $15,500 for a similar hit to Peyton Manning.

The Herald will probably update their site later today.

2. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

and this from charles...

According to sources, the Panthers have visits in Charlotte scheduled with North Carolina defensive end Julius Peppers, Tar Heels defensive tackle Ryan Sims, Texas cornerback Quentin Jammer and Oregon quarterback Joey Harrington.

3. BearBryant

BearBryant Full Access Member

If Weinke has to have surgery and misses the season.. It's time to let him go....he will be 3? what next year?

4. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

misses the season? where'd you get that from? it's a minor procedure and he wouldnt miss any practice.

5. BearBryant

BearBryant Full Access Member

know nothing about him missing the season...I was just saying "If"

6. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

I think Weinke's got what it takes, but he seems injury prone.

I'm trippin' on our cornerback situation. I can only presume we'll draft a starter or sign back Hitch, Davis, or Evans for el-cheapo.

7. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I think it's pretty much a lock that we'll see a corner in rd 2. It might not be Rumph - he could go to St. Louis easily but IMO is our best fit - I guess Sheppard is a way to go, and there are guys behind him also. I don't think there's bad value at 34 for corner at all. But, if we were to skip corner we're OK in 3 also, I imagine.

Problem is, will a 3rd round back be enough? And can we go into the draft being this obvious?

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    It's a minor arthroscopic surgery. He will be ready for the start of training camp. Not all surgery is as critical as knee ligament surgery.

9. p2k1f

p2k1f Guest

or bulging disc surgery, if you want to play football again.

10. Piper

Piper Guest

Yes, we can wait on that back until round 3.

Even if we have to reach for a guy like Scobey or Stevens if Gordon or Wells is gone. That's fine. I might even be able to wait until round 4 if we want to double up on the Defensive ends top of round 3 and say goodbye to Jay Williams. Hell, even Davenport is a thought. And then there is the trade down option.

This is why I wasn't as upset as some when Huntley got cut. The only thing I was upset about was that we did it before the draft. All it did was make us more obvious, but IMO, we were still fairly obvious. We were going to draft a back somewhere in the first day, or at least the top of roudn 4. Fox said as much.

I'll be more than happy if we can get a Buckhalter type back for the time being.