1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Casey Moore - "a Hoover clone"

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by rake, Apr 27, 2003.

1. rake

rake Need one of these

Moore is a very similar player to the Hoover. He could be a more natural blocker and if he develops quickly enough in that respect he could definitely stick.

Casey Moore
    SELECTED BY CAROLINA , ROUND 7, PICK 33, OVERALL PICK 247
    FB | (6-1, 240, 4.65) | STANFORD
    By Pro Football Weekly

Notes: Took over as the team's starting fullback in Game Three in 1999 as a second-year freshman. Started every game after that in '99, 2000, '01 and '02. Carried 23 times for 190 yards and four touchdowns and caught 11 passes for 109 yards and one score as a redshirt freshman. Rushed 50-224-3 and caught 8-115-2 in 2000; and rushed 31-199-3 and caught 15-146-0 in '01. Started 11 games, carried 54-348-1 and caught 16-143-2 in '02. Cut the bridge of his nose on a block at the East-West Shrine game, which reopened during Senior Bowl drills, and he had blood splattered across his face all week. Was a first-team Academic All-Pacific-10 and honorable-mention All-Pac-10. Had 16 plays of more than 18 yards in his career, including TD runs of 94 and 68 yards. Started 44 consecutive games from 1999 to 2002.

Positives: Complete fullback with good size who can catch, run and block. Can be a dominating blocker at times. Very good catching the ball, can catch while going outside the frame of his body away from the line of scrimmage and is tough after the catch. Is smart with above-average vision and shows some good elusiveness for a fullback. Can be a force inside when he stays low and runs behind his pads. Runs good routes and adjusts to the ball. Catches with his hands. Picks up blockers when protection breaks down. Good character and leader who is unselfish. Has good change of direction and feet. Outstanding body control, balance and hand-eye coordination. Is durable. Involved with National Honor Society for math. Has good speed and above-average run skills and is a willing blocker. Looks the part with size and effort. Strong, 440-pound bench-presser. Will not miss many assignments.

Negatives: Needs to improve his overall blocking skills. Not sudden out of his stance but quick. Erratic blocker who is very good getting position but fails to break and falls down and off at times. Blocks high and soft and is also not special running after the catch. Has a lot of trouble maintaining weight in season.

Summary: Tough, complete fullback similar to former Stanford FB Tommy Vardell.

Bah - More like Hoover than Vardell.)

FWIW - I had Moore rated as 2nd best FB for us (behind Mughelli). He’s apparently almost as good a runner as Askew and almost as good a blocker as Mughelli. He and Hoover might be too similar though and we already have one of them.(

2. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Yep. Some really like him as a blocker, some don't think of him as highly. It's worth it to find out if he can, because there's no risk.

I nailed this pick in the chat room, but not really because I wanted him. I'll take him, no doubt, he's Hoover with more room to develop and more experience as a blocker, even right now.

3. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

you think he's Goings ticket out??

4. McFly41

McFly41 Work Hard...PLAY HARDER!

Goings is definately on the bubble.

5. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

I agree. I just watched him play in the N/S game, and he's a decent short yardage runner with soft hands and pretty good awareness, I think. His blocking is above average for the college ranks, but will definitely need work in the NFL, just like Hoover's did (and does). I'd say he's about a step or so behind Hoover right now, with his whole career in front of him. In a couple of years of good coaching and NFL conditioning, I could see him as a Greg Comella-type fullback, and we could definitely do worse. Overall, I'm VERY pleased with this 7th round pick. :)