1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Bye, bye Kricket Morton

Discussion in 'SportsTalk' started by sds70, Apr 28, 2007.

1. sds70

sds70 'King Kong Ain't Got **** On Me!!!!!'

[​IMG]

Kricket Morton Leaves WBTV: Boy, I wish I could've retired at age 35 :( :( !!!!!!

Hmmmmmmmm, now that WBTV's Kricket Morton has retired, maybe her next career could be . . . Sportstalk radio!!!!!!! I think her & Jim Celania would be a perfect tag team along with Gary Williams. I mean, between her & Grandpa they can trade old sportscasting stories from their combined years in the business and talk about how they don't have to do anything after 10:00 once the show goes off the air :D :D !!!!!!!!!! Gary would then get to rib them about their extended single life (perhaps Jim & Cricket can help each other find that special someone).

Kricket, Gary, Jim, 'Fat Fingers', & Mark Yarboro in the AM on FNZ: It C-O-U-L-D work . . . . . .

===========

TV/RADIO

Sportscaster unsure where leap will land
    Kricket Morton leaves after 12 years at WBTV

MARK WASHBURN
    [email protected]

After 12 years at WBTV (Channel 3), one of Charlotte's best-known sportscasters said farewell this week.

Her next gig? Doesn't know.

"I've been thinking about it a year or two," says Morton, 35. "When I signed my last contract, I was thinking I might want to pursue other things."

And when that contract expired in March, she decided to take a leap.

"I've never been afraid to fail. I've never been afraid to take risks and chances in life. I'm ready to take another risk in life and see where I land."

She's thinking about free-lance broadcasting work, sideline reporting for games, doing more volunteer work.

"There's so many opportunities, you have to make that step to leave to figure out where you want to go next."

That she came to television at all was a departure from her life plan.

Morton was an elementary education major on golf scholarship at the College of Charleston when she landed an internship at a Charleston station. She was soon smitten with the business.

She asked WBTV for a summer internship after college, and Paul Cameron -- then the station's sports director -- said yes. He remembered her well.

Years earlier, she was a hot-shot sophomore point guard for Albemarle High School when Cameron went to see her in the state playoffs at Catawba College and present her with the station's "Thumbs Up" player-of-the-week award.

She had an off night. Albemarle lost its only game of the year.

"After the game, she bravely appeared on camera with me and graciously accepted the award on behalf of her teammates as a river of tears streamed down her face," Cameron recalls.

"I thought at the time, this intelligent young woman is made of the right stuff -- despite the disappointment and heartache, she didn't shirk her duties as team leader and even managed a smile while crying. I instantly liked her."

WBTV eventually hired her part time as a producer for veteran sportscaster Delano Little, which led to full-time work.

On her last show Sunday, the station played video clips of her early days.

"They were showing stuff from '96 when I was on the air, and I thought, `Why did they ever put me on the air?' I don't think I was very good, but obviously they believed in me."

Cameron recalls her as a standout from the start.

"Kricket started as an intern, doing the thankless jobs -- making runs at the speedway, collecting videotape from our photographers in the turns and making sure it got back to the central edit point. She built a reputation as reliable and dependable -- until the day she left the keys in the golf cart at the track and two drunks went for a joy ride.

"Kricket single-handedly got the golf cart back. And took the ribbing only sports guys can dish out," he says.

With the best nickname in Charlotte TV (her real first name is Krista), she went on to cover NASCAR, pro football and basketball, and interview many of the biggest names in sports. But her passion was high school football and the kids she met through the years.

"Kids are always special to me," says Morton, who has coached youth basketball. "Sports teaches kids more than winning and losing -- they learn about leadership, being a team player."

And, team-wise, she says she's sorry to leave the station.

"I loved what I did. That's my family there. I've been there almost 13 years, and it's hard to leave family. But you have to take that leap of faith and hope things work out and know that they will."

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  2. chris

chris Full Access Member

Maybe she'll follow the Indigo Girls around the country on their next tour.

3. Village Idiot

Village Idiot cloud of dust

wonder who'll replace her on FFN?

4. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

Don't know, but the new chick ain't too shabby.

5. 84camcon

84camcon Junior Member

Always thought she was hot even if she did not like my type.

6. dig-it

dig-it Wait'n On That Post Rookie Deal

Kricket Morton
    National Sales Manager at SBR SPORTS INC.

Orange County, California

7. Southern_Yankee

Southern_Yankee Full Access Member

you more like Fred's type?

8. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Bolt Up

She set the bar on WBTV's Friday Night Football. None of those that have followed have come close to it.

9. Black&Blue_

Black&Blue_ _

She set the bar on WBTV's Friday Night Football. None of those that have followed have come close to it.

10. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

The bar was set, none have reached it.