1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Bob Johnson selling the Bobcats?

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by DJ_Tet, Oct 17, 2008.

1. DJ_Tet

DJ_Tet Full Access Member

Sorenson dropped this little nugget in his latest column:

I hope he does, but only because I see the Bobcats having a dismal future in Charlotte otherwise. My gf and I went to the Open House a couple of weeks ago, the way they treated us was amazing. We got a one-on-one (two) tour of the arena, including the players locker room, the training room, rehab room, and the locker room of the 'inner circle.' It was great, even got a free Bobcat t-shirt and a few min to take shots on the court.

The most shocking part was how few people were at this 'Open House/Ticket Drive.' As someone who grew up in Charlotte and remembers the thousands of people that used to cram the Hive during Fan Day, it's just hard to imagine how far the NBA has fallen in this town. I know how/why it all happened, it's just shocking how little the Bobcats even register.

Perhaps a new owner would help, it certainly couldn't hurt. I only worry that a new owner would be even more inclined to move the franchise (Bob obviously can't afford to do that.)

2. Malaysak1982

Malaysak1982 Full Access Member

I hope so. It's obvious BJ and MJ cannot run an NBA team. They need to GO. Now.

3. DJ_Tet

But will Charlotte support a new owner? And who would buy in this type of economic climate? Who knows how this will all influence professional sports but it will impact it at some point.

4. BUCKO

BUCKO Full Access Member

Who would buy the Bobcats, even if Bob wanted to sell them?

5. Elric

Elric Citizen of the Empire

There is always some rich guy out there willing to shell out $$$ so he can get his face in the news for being a "team owner".

6. Trace

Trace Full Access Member

Thanks for building that shiny new areana. Bye

7. DJ_Tet

I wonder if Bob would even get his $300 mil 'expansion fee' back, with the way the team lease is structured. The value of the team has to be lower than it was day 1 when they still had the hope of the new arena drawing fans.

So, the Bobcats are likely a bargain (unless Charlotte is permanently soured on them,) but are they so devalued that Bob would be crazy to sell?

I wonder if he has any options.

8. BUCKO

BUCKO Full Access Member

According to Forbes, the team is valued at $287 million, so there's pretty much no chance that he'll make his money back. I'd say that if the economic times were different, he wouldn't have much of a problem getting out, but in these times I don't think he has very many options.

Whoever buys the team pretty much has to keep them in Charlotte or spend millions fighting the city trying to leave. Given the current climate for the team and the short term prospects for that situation improving, I don't think anyone would come forward to buy them.

So in short, I think Bob's pretty much stuck with them for a while unless he's willing to take a financial bath.

9. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

I could see Jordan trying to put together a consortium to buy them. You could never rule out McColl or Bruton either. If Humpy could lead a team, I'd bet that they could make it work out.

10. QC REPRESENT

QC REPRESENT Full Access Member