1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Best football conference: SEC or ACC?

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by 84niner, Jun 19, 2009.

1. TheGame08

TheGame08 Full Access Member

Of those 11 BCS games that Big East teams played in, VT played in one and Miami played in four.

2. Powerbait

Powerbait Jawbreaker

VT has pretty much maintained their success, Miami, not so much.

The ACC is the worst BCS conference. The MWC has as many BCS victories and they have to have a team go undefeated to even have a shot at a BCS game.

I don't see what the ACC has done to deserve their autobid to a BCS bowl. They haven't shown themselves to be a BCS caliber conference. The only response I've seen is that the Big East sucks too, but the Big East has performed better in BCS bowl games than the ACC, considerably better.

3. kshead

kshead What's the spread?

I'll take a shot.

You're being a bit harsh. I won't argue on the Big East, but I don't think the WAC and MWC teams play a "full" schedule. Bowden (I think) once said that "you can only get 21 year olds really up for games 4-5 times a year. The rest of the time you just hope". That screws over a whole lot of good teams in the better conferences. Teams in the MWC and WAC get half the year off and don't have to deal with that. For example, last year Texas went through OU, Mizzou, Okie St, and Tex Tech. There's nothing like that on the schedules of the better MWC or WAC teams. Boise gets a disorganized Oregon team in the opener on their home turf and no one since. BFD. Covering the 21.5 against Utah State is great for me but doesn't really mean shit.

Put another way, I'm not sure Duke wouldn't finish 4th in either conference. Currently those slots are occupied by Idaho and Air Force. And I say all this having bet on TCU @ UVA and Clemson this year. So it's not like I'm here to just shit on the good teams. TCU - and Boise and Utah and BYU - are pretty legit. But the MWC and WAC conferences are not. The rest of their teams are out there to fill out my betting card.

4. TheGame08

That's because nobody here is claiming that the ACC is some powerhouse football conference, but you parade around like the Big East is. Cincinnati is better than any team in the ACC right now, I'll concede that. But I would take VT, GT, Clemson, Miami, and UNC over Pitt. The Big East top team is better than the ACC top team, but after Cincinnati there isn't another program that would be a top ACC team.

5. Powerbait

Powerbait Jawbreaker

Yeah, I agree that MWC is top heavy. The ACC is a lot better than the WAC, but the WAC is only one win behind the ACC is BCS bowl games. That's pathetic.

The ACC isn't in the same league as any of the other BCS conferences. Even the much maligned Big East has a winning record in BCS bowl games. Two other conferences have losing records in the BCS (big 12 and Big 10), but they also place 1st and 3rd on the number of at-large bids.

The SEC's clearly the best. They have the most titles, the best winning percentage and good representation. The ACC has only had 4 teams (up to this year). The teams they've had haven't won. So their best and brightest get there and can't compete. I don't think that the MWC is better than the ACC, but I don't think you can say that the ACC is a BCS caliber conference and the MWC isn't.

I haven't gone back and looked it over, but this year the best team from the ACC is #10. I think I said earlier that they wouldn't qualify this year, so I was wrong. They would be the last team in, unless they lose to Clemson, a team that isn't even in the BCS top 25. The MWC has 3 teams in the BCS top 25, same as the ACC.

I really don't see the case for the ACC being a BCS caliber conference other than the fact that they are in the BCS. I think the Big East is next on the shit list, but damn, they have 6 wins over 5 losses. They have gotten it done as a conference on the big stage.

6. Powerbait

Powerbait Jawbreaker

No I don't. I don't think the Big East is a powerhouse. I think they are better than the ACC though.

Please show me where I have done any parading for the Big East.

7. RobAC65

RobAC65 By Grace Through Faith!!

MWC/ACC

The MWC is a tough conference? I'll give you TCU because they are legit all the way around. Come on people. Are we forgetting that the MWC has Utah and BYU that had to fight it out in OT to decide who won? The winner BYU. Does anybody remember FSU going there and dismantling them? TCU is pretty much as far as the argument for the MWC goes this year. Let's try to stay away from bringing in BYU and Utah because by the looks of this past week, FSU could beat Utah as well. That's if your going to make all these nonsense statements that the ACC sucks. Sure they aren't the top and won't be for a while, but they are worthy in many ways of what they get. Just thought I'd throw my share of thoughts in here since the MWC was brought into the argument.

8. TheGame08

The #2 team in the Big East standings was beat by a team tied for 10th in the ACC. That doesn't make NC State better than Pitt. Far from it. BYU also beat Oklahoma this season. I also stated earlier that IMO for the MWC to lay claim to a BCS bid they would need to expand and add at least Boise State, and probably two others schools. Utah State would be a contender given its in state rivalries and it's strong basketball program. The other spot would likely go to a team to align with the eastern teams in the conference like New Mexico State, Tulsa, or UTEP. The bottom of their conference is just too weak right now, but with TCU, Boise State, Utah, and BYU consistently putting together good years it would be tough to keep them out of the BCS.

9. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

There has to be a "weakest" conference in the BCS.

Powerbait, what's your point?

10. Powerbait

Powerbait Jawbreaker

That they haven't even been competitive. The Big East, which many have compared to the ACC in terms of quality, has at least won a good number of BCS games.

I expected the ACC to be better than they are. Miami, VT, and FSU alone should have been enough to keep them at the middle of the pack BCS conferences. But they haven't been. Since FSU's decline, the conference has been irrelevant in the BCS landscape. And FSU only has one win. That win was for a national championship, though.

My point is that the ACC is more comparable with a non BCS conference like the MWC than even the next worst BCS conference. Therefore, even though they have BCS status, they haven't shown they deserve it.

Of course, if they would just do a playoff and put the top 8 teams in the BCS polls into it, it wouldn't matter anyway.