1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Baseball question...

Discussion in 'MLB - Baseball Forum' started by The Brain, May 3, 2003.

1. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

...In all my years playing and watching I've NEVER understood what makes a game elligable to be saved... I know if a guy comes in with a one or two run lead he can pick up the save, but when it gets to 4 runs I've seen it go either way... how does it differ... I'm missing something in all this.

2. KLSnow

KLSnow Behold Avatar the avatar!

Here's my basic understanding:

If a pitcher comes into a game up 3 runs or less, and gets the final out, he gets a save. This is the rule whether he pitches 1/3 of an inning or 2 2/3 innings. Also, if a pitcher comes into a game and gets the final 9 outs (3 innings) of a win, regardless of the score, that's also a save.

I may be mistaken, but that's my understanding of it.

3. RSgal

RSgal Cute pup

SAVES FOR RELIEF PITCHERS
    Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions: (1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and (2) He is not the winning pitcher; and (3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions: (a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or (b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat, or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen he faces); or (c) He pitches effectively for at least three innings. No more than one save may be credited in each game.

MLB Official Rulebook

4. mattarific

mattarific Never Good Or Bad Just...

I think it may also be outs to runs........say a guy come in with a five run lead pitches the 8th and 9th, he gets a save.....i think.