1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Atkins Pros

Discussion in 'Food & Drink Forum' started by VOR, Dec 18, 2002.

1. VOR

VOR Guest

Sitting down in a chair with a brick of cheddar cheese and a pairing knife. Haven't done that in 15 years. This is good.

Eating Steak and salad with sauteed mushrooms

sitting down in a chair with a brick of cheddar cheese and a pairing knife

eating a cheese omellette and bacon

Losing 10 lbs in 3 days.

I'll probably be dead in a week but what the hell.

2. NormanNiner

NormanNiner Guest

Read the book VOR. It's easy to do it wrong.

3. VOR

VOR Guest

I'm being good I don't eat the whole block of cheese in one sitting. and I eat my acceptable veggies so I don't need another ass overhaul. Still the vision of ingesting all those cholesteral laden foods makes one giddy.

4. NormanNiner

NormanNiner Guest

Well, I'm 2.5 weeks into it and I've lost 7 pounds as of today. I haven't exercised a lick until today. I'm starting to exercise 3 times a week now so I expect the weight loss to accelerate some.

The worst side effect for me has been diarrhea. But that's supposedly normal in the first couple of weeks. It's kind of annoying though. After a meal at a restaraunt, you can't just wait until you get home. You MUST go before you leave. I've christened more public toilets than I care to mention.

I got a pack of Ketostix (any drug store will have them) which show the level of ketones in your body (you piss on a paper strip and look at the color afterwards). I'm at moderate levels of ketosis right now, so there's still room for me to improve on it. It has been tough avoiding the sweets but I swear, my appetite isn't what it used to be. That's one of the beneficial side effects of high protein diets. The production of insulin goes way down and insulin is one of the factors in feeling hungry.

Anyway, it seems to be working so far.

5. Farmer

Farmer Guest

Well - this is me everyday - except for that diarrhea thing - I don't get that - but I do have to go drop kids off at the pool within 20 minutes of a meal... what is that all about? - I am not regular - I am "frequent"

I may try this atkins thing too - what book do I need to read up on first?

6. Fred

Fred .........

This just scares the crap out of me. As a nurse, you see people in ketosis and panic (knowing renal failure is probably gonna be next.) And here you people are INTENTIONALLY trying to put yourself in ketosis. I know at least 25 people that have tried Atkins and NOT ONE of them kept the weight off over a year. I wish you folks that are doing it the best, but .....

7. builder

builder Guest

WHY? You don't need to lose anything.

8. Fred

Fred .........

It's the latest fad Builder, didn't you know? Kill your kidneys- live on dialysis forever.

9. builder

builder Guest

I've read good and bad about it. I'm just wondering what Farmer thinks he needs to lose?

10. Farmer

Farmer Guest

well - if its dangerous - i won't do it, sheesh...

I was just going to read up on it....

builder - what do I need to lose?

How about a 36 pants size? thats out of line for me. I should not weigh over 165 at the most and I must be close to 180-185 at the very least...

I've never been really heavy and its becoming a pain in the ass - some of my clothes are tight and I already am in a 36 - I always wore a 32 in the waist until about a year and a half ago....

Man - turning 30 has done a number on me :D