1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

2004 Running backs

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by rake, Jul 27, 2004.

1. rake

rake Need one of these

There could be a ton of surprises at RB this year, or maybe with more passing, and "running back by committee" it could be a dull year overall for RBs.
    It’s looking like a more ambiguous fantasy football year than usual and I know that this is going to look like a “trolling for fantasy tips” thread but beyond that I think it’s a point of curiosity for me since following RBs is one of my favorite things. I’m also on a starvation type diet so instead of eating lunch I slapped this together for TBR folks amusement. Here’s my current view of 2004 RBs -

Kevan Barlow is a guy who could put up some numbers . . . IF he had a better line and coaching staff around him.

I’m not buying into Thomas Jones in Chicago and I only see him cutting into the load enough to keep Anthony Thomas out of more significant production.

The word in Cincinnati is that Rudi Johnson is poised for a big year but rookie Perry will likely get enough attention to keep Rudi from really exploding.

Henry and McGahee in Buffalo has a familiar ring to me. Henry is capable of Davis-like production but in my heart I’m pulling for Willis to emerge like Foster did for us last year and take a significant slice o' the pie.

With the Broncos who gives a shite. I wouldn’t touch it with a 20 foot pole this year . . . running back by committee, yada yada yada.

In Cleveland Green has apparently straightened up and is ready to kickass. I’m sure that Suggs doing so well late in the year in '03 had something to do with that. Unless one of these guys gets hurt I see them splitting the load.

I hate sayin it but even though Garner is old he is a productive bastard and Gruden will use the hell out of him. Pittman will remain one incident away from bye-bye and unless he straightens out and/or Garner gets hurt Charlie is a guy to watch.

Emmitt is well done in Zona and I look for Shipp to step up to being called out by Denny. Shipps carries AND receptions should splode! If his numbers aren’t big it won’t be from lack of opportunity.

LT in SD is one of the last fantasy RB safe zones. Even with continued chaos at key positions Tomlinson is man enough to shine through.

Priest in KC is another "safe zone".

Edge is just too risky to put money on . . . It’s hard to picture him getting through the season with that schedule.

George and rook Jones in Dallas looks mediocre to me, but George is dependable and durable enough to at least get 1,000 . . . better than Hambrick anyway.

Minor might end up winning out over whoever is brought in. He is a motivated guy with some heart but it’s probably going to be very ugly in Miami this year.

Westbrook and Buckhalter will split it right down the middle.

Many are expecting Duckett will have a solid year for Atlanta . . . I can not share the sentiment because I hate the Falcons too much. It’s not at all rational, so sue me.)

Poor Tiki in NYC. I see a bad year offensively for the Giants. Stay away

Yeah yeah, the Jaguars want to have homefield for the dance and they’re going to shock the world this year. . . Not if Taylor goes down. Can he make it 3 healthy years in a row? If not that Toefield kid is a player and he might step up.

I see a falling Martin and rising Jordan getting close to that 50/50 split in Jet town.

Kevin Jones is the rook RB who is in the most likely position to carry the load this season. Once the combo of Bryson and Pinner prove to be mediocre at best look for Mooch to toss a saddle on the rook, but how soon does that happen?

I see this as the last hurrah for Favre and I bet they pass and try and spread the ball around too much for Ahman to really get his swerve on this year. After a huge year for Green he is due to fall back to earth this year.

I’m expecting Davis & Foster to be about 60/40 respectively. I just want them both to remain healthy and I think Fox will be a good caretaker for them this year in that respect.

Fuck the Pats! Dillon is going to bite it this year and the entire team will follow him down the toilet. Okay, that’s another irrational POV but a guy can dream can’t he?

The Raiders are loaded with "slightly above average" at RB. Even though there is word that Wheatley gets a bigger load it smells like running back by committee there once again.

In StL Jackson is the only other rook (besides Jones in Det) who could make a decent sized splash, but only if Faulk gets dinged and/or Gordon gets traded.

The Ravens look spooky this year and if Lewis gets clear of any distractions he is behind too good a line not to blow up.

The way Gibbs “used to” operate I see him using Betts more than people might think but Portis will still get plenty of opportunities to shine. I’m starting to feel a flip-flop on my earlier feelings coming on and the skins might rank very high in offensive production this year . . . damnit.)

McAllister is a stud but from more than one source I have seen complaints that he “wears down” late in the year. I hadn’t noticed that but looking at last years numbers he has a tough act to follow and most guys do not follow up a monster year with another monster year.

Alexander for the Seahawks is gold (see LT & Holmes).

Staley is capable behind an improved line but I feel like this is another club that could suffer from a little chaos at the QB position and a few other spots (see teams like Giants & Chargers). I see a potential good year numbers-wise for Duce, but not great.

Domanick Davis seems to be the pick of many to really surprise at RB this year and if the Texans as a whole will be as improved as many think he is definitely a guy to watch. I like him.

Some are picking Brown to fill George’s shoes . . . I’m not. He and Smith will probably be about as bland as Smith & Brown sounds.

The Vikes are looking like the most likely club to flourish from the damn running back by committee thing since they should have 3 equally effective and complementary guys to handoff to. The Vikes and the Lions slugging it out in Nov & Dec for what will amount to a playoff spot . . . love it!

2. Boo

Boo Cornholio

Pinner was 75% healthy last year...the only reason he played in the final 3 games was because of a millen mandate...they needed to evaluate him in game situations. Mooch actually didn't want to play him because he wasn't healthy enough.

With the guards the lions had last year, jim brown would have struggled...hence they sign the pro-bowler woody and added soloman "the classic under acheiver" paige yesterday....this could be their best o line since the early 90's.

mooch likes to have multiple backs...pinner and jones will share the load. pinner bulked up to 240 pounds and jones has shown to be a hell of a lot faster than his 40 times indicated. jones is the 1st back since barry that has the speed to get around the corner and should be a legit home run threat.

plus with roy williams, charles rogers, and tai streets on the field at the same time...the safeties won't be playing run. kinda like what robert smith had when he had moss and carter on the field.

3. rake

rake Need one of these

You’ve got something to look forward to again Boo. It does look like Lions fans are in for a great ride. :xyzthumbs

4. McFly41

McFly41 Work Hard...PLAY HARDER!

Pinner could be a great back, I like is total game. Not real shifty, but he uses his blocks very well and has a solid power game. I'd compare him somewhat to Stephen Davis. Remember, Davis wasn't used as a RB out of the gate, but was more of a FB and short yardage back. He progressed quickly once given the FT role.
    I can see Pinner developing in a similar fashion, but I expect him to break out sooner. Pinner will likely get the majority of the load this year, splitting with Jones 60-40. Just speculating, but that's what I see happening there.

5. rake

rake Need one of these

What I saw of Pinner struck me as pretty one-dimensional last year but I wasn’t studying the lions like Boo was, I’m sure. As he suggested whatever blocks Pinner might have been able to use last year just weren’t getting made consistently. Also - If he was only 75% then that's not much to judge by. I’ll be interested to see what Pinner can do this year, however I like Jones and from what I’ve seen he’s the “talent” of the two.

6. rake

rake Need one of these

. . . for the hell of it

This is an interesting pre-draft article I just found on Pinner -

http://www.detnews.com/2004/lions/0404/16/b08-124533.htm

At one point they say that "the Lions expect to draft a tailback, but not in the first round". I assumed that since they did in fact draft Jones in the 1st that Pinner was probably not the RB of the future for them. If they see Pinner as star caliber why draft Jones when there were a couple of other needs that could have been addressed with that pick?
    Boo do you think it's possible that the ankle is a bigger question mark for the future than they are letting on? If range of motion has been permanently diminished or if the point of injury is significantly vulnerable now that might be enough of a concern to spend a 1st round pick on another RB.

7. Boo

Boo Cornholio

a month or so ago pinner said he was 99% healthy. says he has his explosion back which he didn't have last year.

they had jones rated as the top RB available in the draft but didn't think he was worth the number 6..then traded to 7 pick. before the draft, the thought was chris perry, julius jones, and tatum bell would be there in round 2 an possibly 3. Taking williams at 7 was a no-brainer...teddy lehman was then a gift in round 2 because they already had their RB.

when cleveland traded with the lions to move up and get the soldier, the lions used that pick to move in position to take jones when he started to fall. of course, they have the cowboys and bengals to thank for that.

Mooch has been talking a lot about the running game lately. for the past several seasons, no one respected the lions running game which creates a whole host of problems...he says a team needs at least 2 good RBs now-a-days...he prefers to platoon backs to keep them fresh.

When james stewart got hurt last year, they essentially were forced to play with number 3 backs as starters. the problems were really two fold - poor RBs and poor guards. both issues have been addressed. they ran out of CBs and WRs due to injuries last year too...they've taken steps to make sure that doesn't happen again.

it all rides on harrington's shoulders. year 3 in the WCO is when QBs really start to pick it up. he claims he did in the 2nd half of last season..hence the wins over green bay and st louis...he did that with 3rd string wrs who loved to drop passes and no running game. there was an infamous heated clash between him and mooch in front of the entire team at halftime during the rams game where mooch threatened to bench him over poor decisons and harrington talked him out of it...he responded with 2 td passes.