1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Zone blocking

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by The Cat, Nov 14, 2007.

1. The Cat

The Cat Full Access Member

We all thought the zone blocking scheme would help the running game. Why do you think it is not working? Is it the running backs? Bad line technique? Too slow? Discuss.

2. Carrboro Panther

Carrboro Panther Full Access Member

I fell like the only time we saw that scheme work was our very first drive of the pre-season in New York. Since then, I haven't really noticed anything different from last year. Maybee the scheme is outdated, I don't know. But it sure as hell is not working for us.

3. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

4. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Williams hasn't taken to it the way I thought. Foster has had more success inside, I'd guess. Williams has looked more tenative than I figured he would. I'll look it up later. .

Overall, the run game is our best statistic. A lack of overall first downs has hurt it a little bit, and there have been some games we've just kinda not been that good running - this game, for instance, we all just assumed that we'd be able to run Foster for 130 yards and a score.

Not that easy with 8 in the box on most downs, and with Abraham needing two guys you couldn't easily spread or motion the SS away. We took advantage trying to go downfield (the Jarrett plays, the Smith almost-TD) against the cover one and man, but that's not going to be high percentage with a starting QB and a healthy achilles. They stuck with it, and if you spread/pass, you get killed by Abraham.

I think it's a solid ideal overall. It fits. I don't buy that there's a problem with the backs. At this point, I'm of the assumption we'll be spending on a right guard and a left tackle, or moving Gross, as Wharton just hasn't gotten any better and Bridges sucks out loud.

We need to get better at executing, and while Davidson's playcalling has looked at times very good and very progressive, for entire games we've been very conservative. I'd like to see what he can do with a good, healthy QB, as some of our opening drives have been incredible and more interesting than anything we'd seen in years. But it hasn't been that consistent. Execution doesn't really give a lot of room to be interesting, nor does QB change, but we have to be better.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  6. The Cat

The Cat Full Access Member

Maybe I'm noticing the lack of success when we need it the most.
    We are 10th in attempts. When it counts, as in 1st down % or points we are 22 and 26th respectively.
    I'm just going on my rickety old memory here but, it seems like we tend to have more success when we run left of center. Not as much on the other side. Is there a place to look that up or has anyone else noticed that?

7. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    footballoutsiders.com

when I looked last, we were very good in power situations but also were very high in stuffs, which sounds about right. We've had a lot of inconsistency.

our yards/carry are good enough. We need a little more consistency, and pass support, but it's good enough overall. It's where I was expecting, for 1st year and new scheme, and I didn't expect it to carry our QB problems. Would be nice, but expecting that, or of the defense, isn't totally realistic IMO.

One thing I've noticed is we seem to have a lot more success with Fauria in, as a blocker he seems very good and King is remarkably inconsistent.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  8. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

I haven't been able to watch any games this year other than the TB debacle, but I recall one of the OL saying we weren't running the zone blocking scheme very much at all. Maybe a handful of snaps per game, at best. Has that changed?

9. Jaz

Jaz Full Access Member

The thing about the last game, Wahle or Gross said that the backside end or LB was constantly making plays, and that sucks because isn't the zone blocking supposed to be effective because those guys are taken out of the play? DW hasn't ran poorly, it'd be great to see a game when he gets 15+ carries. Then we could get a real feel of his abilities in the scheme.

10. Clay

Clay Full Access Member

I don't understand why we don't run *more*.

Foster gets crapped on a lot, but he's actually been rather good this year.