1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

ZONA'S right tackle available

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by TOTALPACKAGE, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Piper

Piper phishin member

>> jake and/or the receivers were not recognizing and taking advantage of the blitz. it looked to me that both were at fault

Seems we were trying to hit them with slants and on the outside, which didn't work as well. We did better when we started calling a few screens, the one to Mangum where we guessed the right side did well. The way they were blitzing, I kept wanting to see Foster or Hoover come out of the backfield and take advantage of the middle of the field.

>>playcalling didn't seem bad in first half. Think smitty coulda run a mile on the trick play. Usually that type of play is called an option and for a reason.

Poor decision to throw no matter how much room he had. Even worse play call. Set the tone.

>>- did Moose break off a route again?

Look at the replay after. He ran a 7 to the sideline. Jake didn't have time and just let one fly early.

>>DL did not play as bad as i thought. Buckner played well. LBs weren't getting to the carrier and when they did, Green is a great back and ran rite thru them, which was shocking and concerns me.

LBs were very tenative as a group. Both Fields and Morgan. Often, WW shot in ahead to take on a blocker meant for Morgan, but Dan was slow to react. Fields also was free a bunch and missed a lot of tackles. These two need to play better.

When I looked at the tape, Peppers on several occassions fought through those two blocks from the two tackles and made several plays. He and Jenk looked the best as far as getting any penetration. Everyone else, eh. Rucker and Buckner had problems getting off blocks, IMO, particuarly Rucker, which is suprising. When the two guys getting singled up don't make plays, not good.

>>Branch played very soft, made a couple of poor decisions and didn't support the run

True, and Minter struggled in coverage.

>>ref, it's hard to get the close ball to you receiver when you go to throw and someone is trying to pull ya down. there was enough effort to give the BOD

I thought it was a fair call. Throw was well short. Blocking caused that.

>>based on that half alone,

Yeah, but second half was worse, particuarly on defense. Even though they still ran consistantly, when we did put them in 3rd and long we didn't convert. We had 4 big ones get away that lead to scores or left us with less time.

2. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    that's true.
    I usually could notice Grant on the field. Not to bring him up again for anything other than comparison.

But Tillman, rarely noticed. Branch, only when thrown at, and they didn't throw at him.

We did a lot of weird shit, things we've not really done much before like pulling Minter up, playing 5 DL, and so on. Honestly, it seemed like scheming overreaction to a bad situation.

But it beats lack of reaction.

3. Sackem90

Sackem90 Misplaced Panthers Fan

I had a Packer friend who was at the game with us tell me that we should've exploited the middle of the Pack's o-line when Grady Jackson went down. After Jackson went out, we should've just kept pounding Davis right up the middle because the back-up to Jackson isn't worth a crap and we could've gained a bunch of yards by rushing straight up the middle. He was really shocked that we didn't revise our gameplan to do that and that we just kept doing what we were doing.

But, hindsight is 20/20 and it's over now, so let's just concentrate on beating KC on Sun.

4. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

I thought that about Jackson, too. Problem is, that's where they blitzed.
    To me, Navies and Barnett were not playing well as linebackers. Had they not blitzed, we would have picked on them, and we certainly would've isolated them in the running game.

But, blitz them to no end, and suddenly you risk loss with running up the middle. You risk basically what happened to Hoover. Why we didn't run outside, toss outside, or work the quick slant over and over, is outside my fucking sanity right now because one would expect that would work. If they want to blitz over and over, call the damn slant over and over and not stop till they let you do something else.

5. HeadCase

HeadCase dazed and confused

you mighta told him about our guards, i don't think they coulda moved michael jackson outa there

6. HeadCase

they blitzed from everywhere.

hard to run outside if you don't have anyone that can pull. we did some with pretty mixed results. certainly wasn't something we could bank on.

the slant was the bobble and INT. not necessarily a good thing if they are sitting on it in the middle. can lead not only to turnovers but WRs getting killed. does a slant have to be called or isn't there a way to allow the WR to see the blitz and run a slant?

>> Even worse play call. Set the tone.

don't agree. had nothing to do with stopping Green or the ineffectiveness of our OL. terrible decisions by a lot of players set the tone.

>> Look at the replay

you can usually tell from Jake's expressions if he's the one that fucked up. he was unhappy with someone besides himself, either the playcall or a receiver or maybe the line. i couldn't tell. think madden was claiming moose broke the route off. i couldn't tell. Actually, i think Jake had a chance if he hadn't bailed from the pocket ... depending on if Foster could hold the block. He had no chance once he bailed. It looked to me like a bad decision.

thought buckner played pretty well. pep got handled 1 v 1 at least a few
    times.

>> Willig - meet in the middle.

i'm good with that

7. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

>>the slant was the bobble and INT. not necessarily a good thing if they are sitting on it in the middle. can lead not only to turnovers but WRs getting killed.

true. But the INT, of course, wasn't the fault of the throw or the route. They did sit on them at a time, but you find a way to beat the blitz nonetheless. Too often we tried to go for the homerun to get back into it, and didn't seem to care about the drive.

>>does a slant have to be called or isn't there a way to allow the WR to see the blitz and run a slant?

Muhsin Muhammad, final Atlanta game. That's basically what happened.
    You can audible into it, or have a repoire with receivers where both of you are on the same page.
    But Muhammad and Smith have each been seen breaking routes and Delhomme throws where they "should've" been, most times with two defenders on them.

It's easy for Delhomme to still throw and say "you shoulda run it as drawn", if it wasn't an option route. It's easy to justify the receiver not running into double coverage and a likely INT. It depends on whether the receiver was allowed to cut short, and whether Jake will ever stop throwing into double coverage considering someone else really has to be open.

8. Piper

Piper phishin member

>>does a slant have to be called or isn't there a way to allow the WR to see the blitz and run a slant?

Yes, but if you allow that then both WR and QB have to see the same thing.

>>don't agree. had nothing to do with stopping Green or the ineffectiveness of our OL. terrible decisions by a lot of players set the tone.

I think Henning coming out with a bunch of trickeration put us on our heels. JMO.

>>think madden was claiming moose broke the route off.

Yes. He did. But then the replay showed Moose was running a 7 route all the way.

Here's where losing Smith hurts. Smitty will break routes off early, giving Jake an quick route to get the ball out. Moose tends to work deeper and then come back, which takes more time. Good example here.

9. HeadCase

still your chances of getting cut would seem to be higher when you throw consistently into a buzzsaw. running a slant has got to be one of scarier things in football to be asked to do. smitty bobbled, it's on him but i think it came with an unpleasant risk that GB had forced us to take with their blitzes

don't agree. Muhsin was already going across the middle and stopped. you don't change your route in the middle of your route without the option, which i don't think he had

the question began with attacking a blitz. at times GB rushed 8 and manned up on each receiver (double coverage then is not at issue). it would seem in that instance the receivers would have a plan to hot read that would say if you see this then make an immediate zig or a zag and run away from the defender as fast as you can and immediately begin looking back at Jake for a quick pass. don't zig or zag again after your initial move as this will take too much time and may fool Jake. make a move and take a line and trust Jake to get it there if you're open.

10. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

So I'm expected to believe that Muhsin just got bored? That, after Muhsin supposedly getting blamed for a happening, and after having seen both he and Smith do this, that it wouldn't at all get corrected if it were a mistake on his/their part?

>>it would seem in that instance the receivers would have a plan to hot read

Maybe, but you're talking about a limited offense, one that often has nothing but two receivers streaking. What you're suggesting, ironically, is a staple of other offenses.