1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Zach Miller

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by finleye, Feb 15, 2011.

1. finleye

finleye como say what?

If the Raiders end up using the franchise tag on Seymour, Zach Miller becomes somewhat available. How much would someone have to overpay to beat out the Raiders in a bidding war for this guy?

2. chaz

chaz Full Access Member

Bidding war...Panthers...

Not seeing the correlation here.

I like Miller, but the likelihood is that a new CBA won't get signed until September, which means that the rules of free agency can change.

Not to mention the fact that if the CBA does get signed in September, the free agency period will be for a whole two or three weeks - the duration of an abbreviated training camp before the season starts.

Which means that Dante Rosario better bring it. The Panthers wont have time to enter a bidding war for Zach Miller..if he makes it to restricted free agency.

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Rivera faced him for years. Knows what he can do, may be a priority. No idea if we'll spend but we have literally two places we can impact the O and this is one.

Rosario does fit this O, given that Coryell invented the H-back, but isn't he FA?

4. Skidmark

Skidmark Full Access Member

yes, he and king are FA

5. chaz

chaz Full Access Member

And if there's a short free agency period, teams will more likely sign players they know (Rosario/Hurney) than players they'll have to wage a bidding war over (Miller/Rivera).

Truth is, if the season starts late, then teams with established, under-contract, players will have a huge advantage over a team like the Panthers who have a new coaching staff and a plethora of young players. Pittsburgh and Green Bay, Tampa(!) and Detroit(!) are positioned well for a short training camp. Same could/should be said for the Falcons, Jets, Pats, Cowboys and Bears.

Going after a high-profile free agent in the shortened free agency period, makes little sense for an on-field product that will be handicapped anyway. Better to keep guys you know and gear up for the 2012 offseason.

6. finleye

finleye como say what?

well, Seymour signed a two year deal it was announced today, so the tag can now be used on Miller.

7. finleye

finleye como say what?