1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Younger Stoops to AZ

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by McFly41, Nov 29, 2003.

1. McFly41

McFly41 Work Hard...PLAY HARDER!

Mikey headed West

Kind of strange timing with the Sooners headed to the National Championship game. Wonder if Bobby is a little miffed about that? SHouldn't be, he's been pimping Mike for every open job for 2 years now. Great news, thoguh! Another former Hawkeye moving onward and upward.
    OU's coaching staff is going to get looted in the next couple years. Chuck Long could be next, but I expect he'll start out at a smaller school.

2. McFly41

This really stands out...

"Stoops reportedly will bring several assistants along with him to Tucson. Former Texas A&M playcaller Kevin Sumlin will help run the offense, while his brother, Mark Stoops, a defensive backs coach at Miami, and Bret Bielema, linebackers coach at Kansas State, will help on the defensive side of the ball. Bielema, formerly an assistant at Iowa, helped bring quarterback Brad Banks, among others, to the Hawkeyes program."

Mark Stoops or Bielema might end up as DC. Bielema is a top notch recruiter, probably a big reason for the Hawkeyes quick turnaround as he recruited a number of the currect stars of that squad and last years. He's got strong connections in Texas and Florida.
    With this news, I look for the Wildcats to be bowl eligible in 2 years and return to the top of the P10.

3. Coops Greatest Fan

Coops Greatest Fan I just post here

Yep, here go the Stoops brothers stealing coaches again. Reminds me of 1998.

4. Sooner Dave

Sooner Dave Full Access Member

Now why would you feel that way Coop???? :D

5. Coops Greatest Fan

Hmmmmmm wonder why? Now Oklahoma will know how it feels! (and taking one of our coaches with him.)

6. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Bielma's a decent recruiter, which is necessary, though you often want your strong recruiter to be opposite sides of the ball from the HC's former specialty. I'd expect Mark to run the defense, yes. Bielema becomes recruiting coordinator.
    Sumlin I'd assume is the new OC. But both announcements having not been made, suggest that he might pull a couple sooners away with those titles. Long certainly won't, but
    I don't expect that OU will lose their line coaches, but they might need a backers coach to fill in the staff.
    Assume that Venables takes the DC job completely, even though he's got as much tie to Mike as Bob?

7. McFly41

Funny thing is, most of Bielma's recruiting victories for the Hawks were top offensive performers. I think he uses his previous study habits as a player to be a good recruiter. If you think about it, sure he's going to know defense as a very good defensive player himself...on the other hand, watching all that tape as a player, your evaluating talent just as much if not more on the opposite side of the ball.
    Mark would more likely be the DC, I doubt any other OU coaches will be leaving to join Mike though. OU was really little more than a staging area for Mike anyway and I am sure he and Bob discussed how everything would go down.

8. Coops Greatest Fan

Interesting find this morning:

Kansas State linebackers coach Bret Bielema on Saturday rejected an ESPN.com report linking him to the new football staff being assembled at Arizona by Mike Stoops.

"I have not had contact with them and have not planned to have contact with them," Bielema said.

Stoops hiring fuels talk

9. DaveW

DaveW Super Moderator

"I have not had contact with them and have not planned to have contact with them," Bielema said

boy that sounds familiar

10. McFly41

Brett will finish the season at K-State before making it official. However, he has built his name in that program...he could hold out for a DC job somewhere