1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

With the 13th pick...

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by BHiott, Feb 22, 2008.

1. BHiott

BHiott Bandwagon Fan Since 1995

...the Panthers select Rashard Mendenhall, RB from Illinois.

www.drafttek.com has updated their mock, and Mendenhall is Panthers first round selection.

With the release of Foster, a big RB becomes a huge need, more so than any other position.

Deangelo will start and be backed up by Alex Haynes, who has 3 rushes in his NFL career. Goings was concussed for the third time last year, and this may prove to be an ongoing issue.

FS and OT are the next two biggest needs.

Deke Cooper is probably the most upgradeable player on the team. However, there is no other FS in the Draft that is worthy of a #13 pick past Phillips, and even in the second round it would be a reach.

With Wharton being resigned and Gross being declared "it", the OT position is not in terrible shape. The Panthers may go for an upgrade at that position early, but if they didn't go first round ther should be several round two options.

Here's some tape on Mendenhall, along with Mayock's take on the top RB's this year:
    http://www.nfl.com/videos;jsessionid...000d5d806a7d2e

2. FAN01

FAN01 Full Access Member

I disagree. A backup runner back in the first round is crazy. Not when we have holes on both the D-line and O-line. And not when you have Williams who has ran great when given the chance. We need a RB but FA or the 3rd/4th round will fill the need. I'm staring to get high on Matt Forte.

3. Guest

Guest Full Access Member

Carolina goes OL if Gross goes or LB if Gross stays, but I think Safety would be the best choice.

There are an abundance of RBs on the market and Williams can hold his on with a decent back up picked up in free agency.

4. presidence99

presidence99 es lo que hay.

Why would we go LB?

5. Jaz

Jaz Full Access Member

Dude, its either another LB or Center. Obvi.

6. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I expect they will go with a DE in the first round. Guard is a bigger need but guards rarely go 13th overall. A lot depends on what is done in free agency.

7. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

Heck I'd take a CB before LB, we probably won't have our top three after this year and it's a strong class.

We did take DW in the 1st when we already had a starter, so there's precedent for it and we do need another.

But I'm hoping for whatever is the BPA out of DL/OT. At least the coin has been flipped and we know who picks where now (even if that sucks).

8. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

You and everyone else.

9. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

I've got no problem with an RB in the first.

We picked an RB in the first when we had Foster. We need 2 starting quality running backs.

I have no problem with that.

10. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    rather have one be a veteran, since that's the setup we've already had. A first round RB would be fine, but we have bigger needs.